Tarot of the Old Path Study Goup - Workable?

Are you interested in a Tarot of the Old Path study group?

• Yes.

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd read it, but probably not post.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I don't have the deck, and don't have an opinion either way.

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Silverlotus

I'm wondering if anyone is interested in starting a Tarot of the Old Path study group? Right now I am working on notes for each card using my ideas and the article on the Majors from Tarot Passages (?). I haven't bought the book for this deck, so I'm going on my own ideas. I thought that I could share my ideas and hopefully get some ideas from other people using the deck.

Please reply if you are intersted. :) I can start posting my notes early next week, starting perhaps with an overview of the deck in general, and then moving on to each card. Any other suggestions would be welcome, but I'd like to stay away from the "favourite card/least favourite card" thread for now. Unless we could come up with some questions to ask about the cards, and then use it as a way to study them.

If there's interest, I'll do some more work with the deck over the weekend and have some sort of outline to post Monday or Tuesday.

Silverlotus

Well, I guess since only one other person voted, a study group for Tarot of the Old Path isn't going to work right now. :)

Two of Wands

I would join you in a discussion on this. I don't think we need that many people to get things going!

Tarot of the Old Path is such an impressive deck that it is worth looking into. It's a deck that grows on you all the time. It has been expertly put together and it is clear that it was a very personal exercise for all those involved.

The deck manages to be fresh and unquie, while authentic at the same time. It undoubtedly takes the Rider Waite Deck into account, pays homage to it and does not contradict its meaning. However, it goes much further than the Rider Waite deck. It is, in fact, immensly complex, rich in meaning and symbolism.

What is particlualry special about this deck is that it actually seems to create its own world. Each card seems to show a different member or members of the community - and you can imagine all of these people interacting in some way.

I'd love to continue discussing this!

skytwig

Yes, yes, I'm in!! It was my 'first' deck, gifted to me by my teacher. I love the images, especially the inclusion of so many animals.

And i love the structure format you propose, Silverlotus. Sounds delicious!!

jmd

For what it's worth, I've been involved in three study groups which now have their own sections... (a Marseille Study group, now the Tarot History and Iconography section; the Qabalah; and the Waite/Colman-Smith)

In my experience, it isn't so much seeing how many are possibly interested, but persevering with posting - interest is often, even if silent, there!

With regards to this deck, I just don't see myself as contributing on any regular basis - but I have the deck, and it certainly has its merit, which may encourage me to also at times post...

Please do begin! Discussions only add to our collective store of knowledge and broadens our interests!

Silverlotus

lol! Now that's there is interest, I don't have the time to start it. At least not for another week or so.

Actually, how about that? Let's get started on April 29th. That should give us all time to get out the deck and look it over, make a few notes, etc. I'll post some form of outline before I go on my trip this coming week, so we have a structure. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I guess I better go take my deck off the trade forum... :)

Two of Wands

April 29th sounds good to me!

Nevada

I'd also like to join the discussion group, and April 29 sounds great to me, since I need to refamiliarize myself with the Tarot of the Old Path. I've had it for a few years, but it had been stuck away in a corner since I moved into my current home, until just yesterday. It's a beautiful tarot, and I'd like very much to study it.

Thanks, Silverlotus, for starting this; and Two of Wands, for inviting me to join in.

Nevada

skytwig

29th is good for me, too. I look forward to it, silverlotus.

You asked for ideas.

On another thread, we are studying minors, one at a time, all the twos, then all the threes, etc.

Does the group want to be more generalized or more specific?

Do we want to study all wands, or all swords etc or start with the Majors?

Do we want to follow 'the Journey' through the Majors, applying the minors that match?

just questions..... :)

Two of Wands

Hi Skytwig!

Guess we should go through the Major Arcana and then plan the Minors from there. I think it does work well to consider all of the the same number together, ie all the aces, all the tens etc. - so I'd go along with that.

I'm hoping to explore a more general way of doing exersises with any Tarot Deck in another thread, which I've started with an idea simliar to this, please take a look if you are interested...

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?threadid=13300

A.