Has Anyone read this book?

LeoLady

Hi,

I've just bought the idiots guide to tarot and fortune telling from amazon, it's quite good especially for those of us (me included) who don't have a natural talent for tarot.

Either that or I'm just not 'letting myself go' with them, or the decks I have just don't suit me (celtic dragon, dragon deck, Hanson Roberts and Russell Grants' Astro Tarot)

Have just ordered the unicorn deck as i glimpsed them on this site and they appealed to me a great deal, however, will have to see if they're gonna sing to me when I get them!

starfish66

That was the very first Tarot book I purchased and I think it's wonderful for beginners (and later, as a reference book).

I recommend it to anyone looking for a good book on learning Tarot.

:T3C Starfish

divinerguy

Two suggestions. First, go with a deck that's not quite so heavy into a theme. Its easier to look at the card for intuitive reading when you're using a deck that doesn't distract you.

Second, do readings. As many as you can. If you're shy, do readings of people on TV. If you're an extrovert, go to an espresso bar and give free readings. Just be honest and tell them you're learning.

I personally have used Tarot For Dummies, and its just fine. Whatever gets you comfortable doing readings is what its about.

Even if you never read for anyone else, it'll make your own personal readings more accurate.

Divinerguy

truthsayer

of the decks you listed, i think the hanson-roberts is the easiest for a beginner to use. it's one of my favorite decks. i haven't read that book but i've skimmed it in a bookstore and i think there's good info in it. i've considered buying it but i already have so many books! :)

Phoenix

This was my first tarot book too!!! I think that is tis great for beginners, and even for advanced readers. I still happen to use it for reference, and I have many tarot books in my collection. It is invaluble in my opinion.

LeoLady

Espresso Bar?

Thanks for the suggestions, but in the uk I'd probably get arrested for doing that kind of thing in a bar!!

Angeline

Hi I have that book too.
Just starting out so can't really give much of an opinion on is but glad to see that many have found it usefull.

Angeline

LeoLady

What a beautiful Name!

Hi Angeline,

First if all would like to say that your name is beautiful and if i ever have a daughter (unlikely tho) I'd love to call her that.

Anyway, I digress, I'm part way through the book, and found the excersises really good, because they make you look at the card s first to see what you think before giving the meanings later on. I've got it right sometimes, which surprised me no end!!! Simply because I'm one of these people who likes to be 'told' how to do something and this is a first for me, using my intuition.

Good luck with the book, just out of interest, what deck are you using?

Angeline

awwwwwwwwww thanks :)

I have the universal rider waite deck.......I have seen a few others that have caught my eye...but i'm trying to control myself untill I can at least read this set..LOL!

with love Angeline

PS Gayle is a lovely name too!

LeoLady

Have to say, that the rider-waite deck did nothing for me at all! I did look at it and bought the Hanson-Roberts deck instead, it's very similar but the pics are nicer than the rider-waite one.

Have also just ordered the unicorn deck simply because it took my breath away when I happened upon a picture of one, not that I'm into unicorns but I love mythical creatures (if indeed they are) and my fave are Dragons, but the 2 decks I have that picture Dragons are too hard to read, lovely to look at but too hard at the moment. Let me know how you get on with your book, although I have to say I haven't been doing it religiously cos of the time I have available to me. Esp the 'every day' excersises, not doing those, so I guess it's gonna take me a long time to get through the book, and I confess I 'page hop' too!!!!

Take care x