History of Ideas - the Hanged Man

Rosanne

Hi Lance, I have been trying to find examples of Christ in the Zodiac- even right side up. I have found Christianized Zodiacs(planespheres),have the Cross of Calvary, but none before the 17th Century.
I have found artworks of Leda and the Swan.
I did find a book by a Andrew Collins, who says the same as you basically.
here is an extract.
In Christian tradition, Cygnus was seen as the Cross of Calvary as early as the sixth century, and arguably as far back as Roman times, where the crucifixion scene was associated more with the pagan god Orpheus, whom Jesus was portrayed as in a number of early Christian statues and murals found in Rome. In Classical tradition the swan of Cygnus was originally said to have been Orpheus, god of the underworld.
Cygnus was occasionally shown in Christian planispheres as Christ on the Cross, his wounds perhaps corresponding to its principal stars. Moreover, the dove as a Christian symbol of the Holy Spirit (Greek pnuema), derives from the Hebrew concept of the Spirit or Breath of God (ruach), and stems from the same cosmological root as the Yezidi concept of the anfar, the form of Khuda (God) as a bird that brought the universe into manifestation. In the first chapter of Genesis the Spirit of God (ruach) hovers over the primordial waters moments before God's Creation of the universe. The dove or pigeon was equated with Cygnus in Arabic tradition.
I have found nothing in image in the 15th Century that would indicate the Hanged Man and Cygnus.Nor have I found associations of the Cross of Calvary and Cygnus in either word or image.
Can you help?
~Rosanne

Cartomancer

Jesus on the Northern Cross

Hi Lance, I have been trying to find examples of Christ in the Zodiac- even right side up. I have found Christianized Zodiacs(planespheres),have the Cross of Calvary, but none before the 17th Century.
I have found artworks of Leda and the Swan.
I did find a book by a Andrew Collins, who says the same as you basically.
here is an extract.

I have found nothing in image in the 15th Century that would indicate the Hanged Man and Cygnus.Nor have I found associations of the Cross of Calvary and Cygnus in either word or image.
Can you help?
~Rosanne
Rosanne,
I haven't found an actual image of Jesus on the Northern Cross (Cygnus).
Here is a reference to him there:

Outer Space (The Scarecrow Press, Inc. 1964, p.165): (In reference to the constellation Cygnus.)
"Christian (Cygnus): Northern Cross, Christi Cruz; Cross of Calvary; Crux cum Saint Helena.

The “Northern Cross’ or Julius Schiller’s "Cygnus" from his 1627 star atlas pictures St. Helena holding the "Northern Cross".

Since Artwork with Jesus on the Northern Cross has not been found we should ask:
Why wouldn't Jesus be pictured on the Northern Cross? Was this type of artwork prohibited?

The image of the Hanged Man over Cygnus is my invention. See this thread for my list:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=3537377&postcount=56

In regard to quote in book by Andrew Collins:
"Cygnus was occasionally shown in Christian planispheres as Christ on the Cross, his wounds perhaps corresponding to its principal stars."
I would like to know the name of that book by Andrew Collins and the names of the Christian planispheres referenced by Andrew Collins.

Rosanne

Since Artwork with Jesus on the Northern Cross has not been found we should ask:
Why wouldn't Jesus be pictured on the Northern Cross? Was this type of artwork prohibited?
Well that is complex, possibly to do with this ongoing debate about what is 'sacred' and what is 'secular'- which is why I do not think it is Christ on the World card.

In regard to quote in book by Andrew Collins:
"Cygnus was occasionally shown in Christian planispheres as Christ on the Cross, his wounds perhaps corresponding to its principal stars."
I would like to know the name of that book by Andrew Collins and the names of the Christian planispheres referenced by Andrew Collins.
here it is. http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/articles/thecygnusmystery.htm
I found it in the New Age section of the Library- sub section- non fiction lol.
I have read his Egyptian works on the pyramids etc. The book has plates, but non dated as early as 15th Century- nor the murals in Rome he speaks of. I have a 1936 photographic book called 'The wonders of Italy" I can hardly lift it with it's 4000 some images and I could not find these murals in Rome or any mention of them. The Planespheres are not dated in my look whilst at the Library.
Thanks for your reply..I have read your lists.
~Rosanne

Rosanne

One more thought on the Hanged Man

The need to create memory- of personal, domestic, political and economic milestones- sprang from a desire to lay down foundations; for successful business ventures, for growth and prosperity of family and city, and for individual and social salvation, by learning from past exemplar of moral and Christian virtue.
Dale Kent Essay in ‘Society and Individual in Renaissance Florence’ chapter on
Michele de Giogante’s House of Memory.

Giogante wrote a two part memory treatise in the 15th Century (1435). The first part was about the House of Memory.
The second part deals with Eight (8) figures of memory- moving from the known to the unknown with the aid of imagination.
The eight figures are:-
The figures of Actual, Imagination, Significant, Pronunciation, Skill, Fame, Will and Effective.
Actual figure is for men and women and things seen, know, and dealt with.(touched etc),places, symbols and devices.(Visconti with Viper)
Imagination Figure is for people or objects, which you may have heard or read about, but are not ‘actual’ (Atlas with Sphere of Universe)
The Significant figure, you take the first letter of a name link it to one of the same which you cannot forget. (PC Patel in the Life of Pi for example)
The Pronunciation figure is something that for example a foreign name, or language you do not understand, you divide into syllables in your own language (New Zealand Maori place name “Why Kick a Moo Cow” = Waikikamukau)
The Skill figure remembers the Trade, profession, article of use (Medici pills as Doctor family or three balls as Bankers)
Figure of Fame remembered by social values , both good and bad.
The figure of Will is remembering how you would ‘will to happen in your imagination” (I will marry George Clooney or Humpty Dumpty is Charles the 1st who was beheaded)

Now I found Giogante’s description of the Effective Figure. He suggested that remembering required attaching to a man or object the opposite of Truth, “like imaging that you would like to see a good man hanged”

Giogante assured his readers that these eight figures of artificial memory, constitute every method and manner of been able to remember ,names, events, prose, allegories and sermons etc.His Treatise on the House of Memory became very popular,because at the time, there were many songs, poems, sermons to remember as the Eastern Churches were coming to the Council Of Basel/Ferrara/Milan finally.

After all…ut pictura poesis….which means pictures are like poetry. Unfortunately I do not think Tarot had a narrative at its beginning (it does now). Each image an allegory of Memory that fell into a sequence, and as the years went by - it set itself in concrete even swapping 8+11 and that becoming standard within my lifetime.
~Rosanne

Yygdrasilian

Mayim

As you may know, these cards are visual cues to the puns & allegories inspired by a method of constructing mandalas from ancient alphabets. Thus, the Traitor, guilty of sedition, has specific affinity with Water should one choose to acknowledge the value of A “cypher” concerning 0 - one possessing both Fish Hook & Fish. And, if you can spot the relevance of such an Ichthys to a certain seditious Traitor of "historical" note, you might begin to fathom the hidden narrative embedded within this “occult” deck.

⊠ ≈ 17/12
✡ ≈ 265/153