Pregnancy cards

velvetina

besides all the usual suspects...I've had 6 of pentacles indicating IVF...also 9 of pentacles especially with Empress hovering..but I agree it has to FEEL like pregnancy!

Teheuti

I've had the Empress come up on more than one occasion to unquestioningly predict pregnancy, but then I've probably had it come up hundreds, if not thousands, of times when it didn't mean that.

BTW (and slightly off topic), I really caution against reading about how a pregnancy will go. I've seen problems on more than one occasion and in none of these situations would knowledge of possible complications or worse (a SIDS death and an emergency operation during which the mother 'died' for several minutes) would have helped the mothers or the pregnancy - especially since there is usually not enough information to give a specific warning. Some things are better left alone (unless intuition tells you otherwise).

jema

Sar said:
Ace/wands + Death can mean a pregnancy.

interesting.
it can for sure mean that you get some great sex too :-D

Topsy

For the mother, The Empress is the obvious one but also the Queen of Pentacles, who has a very similar energy to The Empress. She's fertile, sensual, nurturing, fruitful and focussed on the physical world. The 3 of Wands is, to me, the "growing" card so I could see this representing the process of a pregnancy blossoming.

For the unborn baby itself, I've always been astounded by the similarities with The Hanged Man. I haven't seen any threads about it on here but I'm sure I can't have been the only one to spot the symbolism. Suspended upside down, the rope is like the umbilical cord; at some point, when he is ready, it will be cut and he'll walk free, but until then he simply waits, unable or unwilling to take action. He's halfway between the heavens and the earth, and belonging truly to neither, as if in limbo between worlds... Just as the unborn baby is not exactly part of its mother yet not quite a separate being in its own right either.

Teheuti

Topsy said:
For the unborn baby itself, I've always been astounded by the similarities with The Hanged Man.
The whole Constellation of the Empress (all the cards that add up to 3: 21, 12, 3) are amazing. The World shows the vesica pisces of the womb (the Goddess giving birth to herself). The Hanged Man is the babe being born head first, tied by the umbilical cord, but he's also the the sacrificed god, son-lover of the Goddess. And the Empress is Mother.

Aset

patienceislove said:
Are there any cards that point directly to pregnancy?
I thought the empress, 3 of cups and page of cups could mean it. What is your experience with cards in regards to pregnancy?

I had a long road to getting pregnant with my youngest. I read my cards all the time, and for seven months while we tried to get pregnant, my readings were all negative. Then on the month when she was conceived, I did a reading one week after ovulation/one week before my period would be due (when I could do a pregnancy test). I used a three card spread, one for the immediate past (a week prior), one for the present, and one for the immediate future (a week ahead). I got, in this order, the 7 of pentacles, 8 of wands, and 10 of cups. This was with a RW deck.

The 7 of pentacles indicated the length of time that I'd put in to trying to get pregnant up to that point. 8 of wands were indicating to me that the "swimmers" hit their mark ;) Also since it was in the present position, it might have indicated implantation, which would have been happening around that time (implantation can be an obstacle when trying to get pregnant). 10 of cups was like my happily ever after... a husband and wife and their two kids happily dancing around. I don't know that any of these cards would typically be considered "pregnancy" cards, but in context they made perfect sense.

jayem

I just posted this story in the 'Interesting Tarot Pairs' thread, but during a party a woman asked if her daughter would ever conceive. I drew the Magician and the Empress, and I told her she would, but it would have to be with medical help. I guess the woman's daughter had cancer 10 years back, and the doctors told her the only way she would be able to conceive was with medical assistance.

jayem

Edit: Double post.

Teheuti

I love these personal stories of cards that actually showed up predicting pregnancy.

For me - I was getting a professional reading, and the Empress turned up. I don't remember what the reader said or any of the other cards, because I suddenly knew it meant pregnancy (although the card had never meant that for me before). I had no intention of getting pregnant at that time, wasn't yet and was taking care not to get pregnant. Talk about a feeling of implacable Fate staring you in the face! The feeling was so overwhelming that I remember it to this day.