The Hierophant... represents law? Really?

tarotbear

It seems more natural and easier to understand if you intercept the two pillars as Severity and Mercy rather than Law and Liberty. A good reason for that, in my opinion, is that Law and Liberty aren't opposites necessarily. They can be, but not usually.

O.K. - Kabbala takes me out of my comfort zone, but - if you accept the Hierophant (or the HP, Justice, or the Moon cards) as between the Pillars of Severity and Mercy - does that make the Hierophant represent equilibrium & balance - The Middle Pillar?

Owl Tarot

O.K. - Kabbala takes me out of my comfort zone, but - if you accept the Hierophant (or the HP, Justice, or the Moon cards) as between the Pillars of Severity and Mercy - does that make the Hierophant represent equilibrium & balance - The Middle Pillar?

A nice way to approach the Hierophant as standing between those two Pillars, in the position of the Middle Pillar thereoff, is to consider that there are writers who translate the Middle Pillar as the Pillar of Consiousness. Under this prism, the Hierophant is a teacher who, using his religion, aids in raising the consiousness of the individual who follows his teachings higher and higher up the Middle Pillar, initiating him into the secrets of his religion.

Thirteen

Liberty in respect of law is perhaps to be understood in reference to liberty as 'free-will'?
That's a very good point and I like the quote. Ignoring, for a moment, theocracies ;) one usually follows the dictates of a religion of one's own free will. A man takes vows of poverty, etc. and joins the priesthood not because he's fearful or being forced into it, but because it calls to him. It is, as you pointed out, the voice of a "master" he wishes to follow.

I believe you're right that this is the Liberty of that pillar. What one does of free will vs. what one does because it is "the law." Of our free will we may not cross the street on a green light, but because it is the law we will.

Taking Liberty in your context as opposed to Law makes the Hierophant's place between them quite apt.

tarotbear

A nice way to approach the Hierophant as standing between those two Pillars, in the position of the Middle Pillar thereoff, is to consider that there are writers who translate the Middle Pillar as the Pillar of Consiousness. Under this prism, the Hierophant is a teacher who, using his religion, aids in raising the consiousness of the individual who follows his teachings higher and higher up the Middle Pillar, initiating him into the secrets of his religion.

Is that a Yes or a No?

Thirteen

Is that a Yes or a No?
:D I think it's a yes...IF

Meaning it depends on how you define that middle pillar. There are a lot of middle pillars in the cards. But I don't think they're all the same middle path as Buddha recommended. There's the twilight/dawn moment of both/neither in the HPS card, the "straight down the middle" of the Chariot race, the perfect balance of Justice, and the third way of the Temperance. I'd, personally, rate Justice or Temperance as more in tune with Buddha's middle path which advises against abstinence and excess, or the golden mean.

Farzon

I like Closrapexa's take on the inner and outer word. That's exactly how I would interpret these cards, but I could never put it in words that beautifully! ^^

However, I'm puzzled about the middle pillar stuff. All the comments make sense to me, but wouldn't that make other cards the middle pillar, too?
The HPS and Justice sit between the pillars, as well. Plus, the Hierophant is not located at the middle pillar.
Any ideas?

Thirteen

However, I'm puzzled about the middle pillar stuff. All the comments make sense to me, but wouldn't that make other cards the middle pillar, too?
The HPS and Justice sit between the pillars, as well. Plus, the Hierophant is not located at the middle pillar.
Any ideas?
Check out my post above yours, Farzon. We must have been posting around the same time ;)

The answer, I'd say, is that yes. There are a lot of middle pillars in the tarot. But they're not all the same middle pillar/path. The HP's seems to be the middle pillar of navigating community traditions and laws, social mores and organized religion. This as compared to navigating one's individual life, ethics and spirituality. The Hierophant's path is a path for many. And as one clothing company, that specializes in one-size clothing and sells very well puts it "one size fits many." :D This path may not fit all, all the time, but it's very right for those who want to travel and play with the marching band rather than following their own drummer.

Farzon

Check out my post above, Farzon. We must have been posting around the same time ;)

The answer, I'd say, is that yes. There are a lot of middle pillars in the tarot. But they're not all the same middle pillar/path. The HP's seems to be the middle pillar of navigating community traditions and laws, social mores and organized religion. This as compared to navigating one's individual life, ethics and spirituality.
Yes we were!
Your post just speaks right off my soul.
I was beginning to think of the middle path as well. And even if this kind of balance can't be important enough in spirituality, I think it's a bit exaggerated when it comes to the Tarot. A lot of cards can mean a lot of different kinds of balance. And I can't see the Hierophant there myself.

But I can see the teacher who tells us the lessons to enlightenment, the rituals we have to perform. Like in meditation you don't just let go: you crave to let go and thus perform certain techniques. They will then vanish in themselves after some time of practice but they actually never change.

Speaking the Tarot-tongue, learning the Hierophant ' s lesson will finally open the High Priestess' s secret. What has been only felt in the first place is made clear from outside and then internalized again. At this point spirituality and dogma (in the good sense) become one.

ravenest

The keywords you give for the Hierophant seem to me only to be the negative implications of the card.

What :confused: you gave the negative key words. I used words like ; " teacher, student, teach the 'Mysteries' , assist , 'knowing thyself' and the process of balancing severity with mercy. " But it was your implication that made liberty Chaos ... and your statement that he is 'so strongly biased toward lawful ideals'.

So how do 'my keywords' seem to be only "the negative implications of the card." ? ? ?

I like your thoughts about law and liberty. But I wouldn't say the Hierophant tends more towards the side of law though, nor does he remain neutral... I think the Hierophant represents the force that brings law and liberty into balance and this force is religion, tradition, God.

God speaks the law but man needs to follow of his own free will to be redeemed.

Well, personally, I dont go along with the religious stuff, but I think the issue of law has been mixed up with 'tradition'. The hierophant is the guy that is going to tell you you need to build up a firm base and learn certain things, get some groundwork and training in , do things the 'right way' ... he is not the New Ager that says to go freeform and 'intuitively channel' your learning about yourself ... or one ends up with ... a lot of the 'teachers' that are out there now .... teaching a load of (sometimes dangerous) rubbish!