Lo Scarabeo Golden Wirth Tarot

Le Fanu

Just got this in the post today - the new 22-card Golden Oswald Wirth. Very gold and a very nice reproduction. The cards are a manageable size - a bit shinier than normal LoS cardstock but maybe it just feels that way because of the gold sheen. The colours of the actual cards look slightly aged and the gold isn't that same gold which you see applied to the Klimt and Visconti Sforza - it is a sort of glittery gold - there is glitter embedded, which is quite curious. I have never seen any other LoS deck with this effect.

http://www.loscarabeo.com/lang-en/grandi-trionfi/743-golden-wirth-tarot.html

For anyone looking for an atmospheric Majors only deck, this would be a great choice. The drawings look, to my eye, original - i.e. not redrawn or modernised in the way the Visconti Sforza is. It's a beautiful version - and nice sturdy box. Glitter apart, it has a lovely old-fashioned feel to it.

I notice that the book - a brief introduction and card meanings, nothing else (repeated in 5 other languages apart from English) - has "Oswlad Wirth" written on the cover. That's quite a typo! There are two blank pages at the back, headed "Notes".

Cards measure just over 14 cm x 8 cm.

Lilybell

Golden Wirth

I bought this deck a couple of weeks ago and it is really beautiful. Unfortunately the deck had two Empress cards and was missing the Temperance, even though it was brand new. I e-mailed Scarebeo to see if I could get a replacement but received no reply. Still, I will keep the deck as I love it, perhaps someone will get an extra Temperance and need a Empress so we could do a swap!

Le Fanu

You must insist with the faultiness! You can't be expected to keep a faulty one. This deck really wants me to make a go of reading with Majors only.

I'm amazed there is so little interest in this deck.

Abrac

Are they multilingual? The info on the page says yes but I only see French on the cards.

Le Fanu

Are they multilingual? The info on the page says yes but I only see French on the cards.
oh no! just the titles as on the originals...

Le Fanu

Here's a picture. You get NO sense of the glittery gold, but you can see the format of the cards and box and LWB and backs etc etc.

It is very lovely. I'd say it's my favourite Majors only Mass Market deck right now!

Attachments

• GoldenWirth.JPG
    GoldenWirth.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 2,121

Abrac

Appreciate the additional pic. It does look like it would make a good alternative to some of the other options out there.

Philistine

I'm very interested in this deck. The only hang up I have is the majors-only format. I seem to recall Wirth's original pack did have minors, or there was at least a decent set of minors conjured up later by another source, but my research escapes me now.

That said, I am excited by the spangled gold effect and the recommendation that this deck could proselytize for majors-only reading, so I may just bite the bullet and pull the trigger (terrible string of punny metaphors, yes yes).

Bertrand

This deck really wants me to make a go of reading with Majors only.
glad to read that !

This Wirth looks really beautiful, it somewhat look faithful to what Wirth (and so probably Stanislas de Guaita) expected from this deck. Plus it is definitely very desirable... I think I need it !

Philistine : the original Wirth deck didn't have any numeral nor court cards, USG I believe made an "extended" 78 cards version, but it wasn't designed this way, it's definitely a major only deck, and yes you can read with "major only decks", sometimes they're even more efficient (and I'm not saying that because I will soon - hopefully - offer my new major only deck but because I do readings in a professional context either with major only and full decks)

Bertrand

I shall add that I'm delighted to discover that on those Lo Scarabeo pages, the term "Major only" disappeared in favour of the more appropriate and elegant "Grand Trumps"

The backs are really elegant too.

I double want it now!