Etteilla's Card Meanings

DamianStraton

Hello,

Do any of you know where I can find Etteilla's card meanings for all 78 cards.

Huck

In the local search engine you find some threads to Etteilla and some include meanings of the cards. Unluckily these threads are often rather long, so you have to search for that, what you precisely want.

You can limit the search results by reducing them to the articles of author "MikeH", who had some intensive attempts in this matter. Also you could limit them to that, what appeared in this forum.

DamianStraton

Thank you, Huck!

PathWalker

Some meanings for the minor cards are written in the descriptions of cards in

Mystical Origins of the Tarot
Paul Huson

But I am not an expert in the field, adn have no idea how "good" these would be considered to be by scholars.

Pathwalker

gregory

Have you the book that comes with the Grimaud deck ? Would that be adequate, I wonder ?

DamianStraton

Some meanings for the minor cards are written in the descriptions of cards in

Mystical Origins of the Tarot
Paul Huson

But I am not an expert in the field, adn have no idea how "good" these would be considered to be by scholars.

Pathwalker

Thank you Pathwalker. That book is referenced in Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack. I did not look at it but it seems to be good.

Just found another one:

The Divinatory Tarot: The Key to Reading the Cards and the Fates Paperback
by Papus

I have no idea how good the translations are, but I imagine they would be acceptable. I did not cross-reference them.

DamianStraton

Have you the book that comes with the Grimaud deck ? Would that be adequate, I wonder ?

I did not, and I do wonder about the accuracy as well. A little research lead me to a blog that talks about that:

"I thought it would be fun to compare not only different cards but also different books and booklets that went with the cards. In my view the booklets that go with most of the extant decks that people have are deficient, compared to the c. 1838 "Julia Orsini" Art de Tirer les Cartes that I found at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas. They all leave out the word-lists, which I think are pretty important, because everything seems to flow from them. For the rest, it is a good thing that they provide the original French, because although the English translations are 98% accurate, the other 2% includes some major errors."

In his blog, the guy translated the majors. Quite impressive:

http://etteillastrumps.blogspot.com.ar/2012/05/cards-1-4.html

DamianStraton

That's AT member MikeH - there are also threads here with his translation of the 3rd cahier and other sources.
. Oh, that's cool. I'll check it out. Thanks, kwaw.