Paradigm Shifts

Chiska

For those of you who started with more modern decks, did you find that working with historical decks, or reading about tarot history, caused a paradigm shift?

I have been delving more deeply into the historical decks and also have been reading more about tarot history, etc.. I have discovered that my viewpoint on systems of interpretation has changed a bit. Nothing drastic, but a definite shift. Difficult to articulate at this point and I was hoping that additional conversation would help me put this into perspective. It isn't disillusionment, but more of an awareness of the agendas of specific groups and how they manipulated tarot to fit their own paradigm.

Don't get me wrong, I am not about to sell off my Free Range Thoth collection or let the sun go down on my collection of Golden Dawn type decks. I actually am discovering that the more I work with the historical decks, the better I am reading with the modern decks.

Wendywu

I know what you mean. I ended up feeling such an incredible freedom with TdM and the historical decks. Kinda like if you wear your undies too tight (or a corset I guess, although I never tried one) and then all of a sudden there you are, letting it all hang out! Sometimes I have a quick mental image of folks tutting at me for wandering around without any constraining underwear :laugh:. However, the readings I provide work according to the feedback I get from repeat face to face clients and on line sitters so why would I want to make myself uncomfortable again for the sake of conforming to someone else's system....

If I use any system at all it'd be a nod towards numerology and basic elemental associations for the pips and I do pay heed to the traditional, historic roles within a medieval court allied to suit associations for courts. Over time I have worked out what different meanings the cards can have for me but it's subjective and I wouldn't ever try to impose my ideas on anyone else. Why would I?

Sometimes I wonder who it was who first said "this means that" and where they got their meanings from, and why I'm supposed to believe them and read according to their ideas and not my own :confused:

Chiska

I know what you mean. I ended up feeling such an incredible freedom with TdM and the historical decks. Kinda like if you wear your undies too tight (or a corset I guess, although I never tried one) and then all of a sudden there you are, letting it all hang out! Sometimes I have a quick mental image of folks tutting at me for wandering around without any constraining underwear :laugh:. However, the readings I provide work according to the feedback I get from repeat face to face clients and on line sitters so why would I want to make myself uncomfortable again for the sake of conforming to someone else's system....

Yes, that's it! It is like the freedom when you get home from work and the first thing you do is take off your bra. The thing I struggled with the most in the beginning was dealing with The System. Didn't matter which one. I am stubborn on a good day, obstinate on a bad day. I am pragmatic to the point where it becomes an issue. I fought The System every step of the way, but I learnt it! I found the patterns, I read the correspondences. Yadda yadda yadda.

If I use any system at all it'd be a nod towards numerology and basic elemental associations for the pips and I do pay heed to the traditional, historic roles within a medieval court allied to suit associations for courts. Over time I have worked out what different meanings the cards can have for me but it's subjective and I wouldn't ever try to impose my ideas on anyone else. Why would I?

I think that the day when I learned of Pythagorean numerology was when I experienced another paradigm shift. To me, this made sense. Perfect, logical sense. Astrological stuff makes no sense to me. I am really not very interested in astrology and know nothing beyond the very, very basic (Sun in Pisces, Moon in Aries, Scorpio Rising, and 4th House heavy). Qabalah kind of fits, but even then...

I like the information at this site when it comes to courts.

Sometimes I wonder who it was who first said "this means that" and where they got their meanings from, and why I'm supposed to believe them and read according to their ideas and not my own :confused:

Quite a few people, actually. And usually in order to fit their personal paradigm.

Wendywu

I've always liked their information on that site but for some reason I'd lately forgotten about them. Thanks for the link :)

dancing_moon

That's a curious topic, Chiska. :) I absolutely agree with what Wendywu said. I myself also started my serious Tarot journey with modern decks, and when I got back to TdM (and then more of other historical decks), I noticed a slight shift.

In a way, historical decks seem to be simpler, less loaded with additional agendas, and more relevant to their own epoch (like the Emperor/Empress cards - would it be more understandable to us if it were Mr President/First Lady cards nowadays?..). On the other hand, they seem to bend more flexibly to just how mundane or esoteric you want your interpretations to be. Maybe, it's because the mindset they were created in and around is almost meaningless to us now, at least more meaningless than decks created in more modern times and describing more modern ideas.

In this respect, decks like RWS and its clones are more meaningful in themselves even if it's only because they resonate with the more or less widespread Western European-style fairytale/fantasy world described in children's books. The images (or archetypes if you like) that they show are easily recognizable to our brain, and it's not difficult to make a fairytale-like story based on them. Also, many decks incorporate precise interpretation systems based on astrology, Kabbala, numerology, etc. Those usually need research and study, so in the end, you're always supposed to learn some kind of a paradigm before you can properly read the deck.

On the other hand, historical decks are more akin to medieval manuscripts, with mysterious pictures and even more mysterious writing (like the Voynich manuscript). You think the symbols they show must mean something, but you have only a vague idea as to what exactly. This way, they stun your intellect, and your intuition has a chance to speak up. :D Also, because many details seem (and might as well be) obscure and/or arbitraty, you can impose almost any interpretation system on them, but they don't really impose much of an interpretation system on you.

Hope my rambling makes sense. :)