666. Crowley is God!

magician

using cards

hi to everyone
i am planning to write a book on tarrot usinig Thoth deck. My question is it ok to use the pictures . Do i have to pay royality coz the deck is very old . I would appreciate the reply
thanks
magican

Ross G Caldwell

magician said:
hi to everyone
i am planning to write a book on tarrot usinig Thoth deck. My question is it ok to use the pictures . Do i have to pay royality coz the deck is very old . I would appreciate the reply
thanks
magican

I think you will have to ask someone, but the question is who. The OTO in the USA claims many copyrights, but they may not stand up in other countries. I don't know who claims the copyright in Great Britain or Commonwealth countries, or if all copyrights apply equally in the Commonwealth.

I guess, I would look to find out who publishes the images of the deck you want to use. I would write them with a sample of what you want to do with the deck, and ask for their permission.

You could also find a publisher who doesn't care (or just print it at your own expense), and just publish it anyway, and hope for the best. Chances are it won't get noticed if you just give credit to the publisher of the deck. If you say "Thoth tarot images copyright so-and-so"; no need to say "Used with permission". If your book is successful, you might get asked to stop selling it; if it is as successful as the Da Vinci Code, you might get sued.

I should add, this advice is my own, and it is in no way the opinion of the aeclectic tarot forum or its owners.

ZenMusic

I'm an author (10 books) .. some advice .. it doesn't matter who owned the original paintings.. the cards are copyrighted and agreement was made when they where published.. (and that includes republication terms)

you have to be reproducing a specific publication of the cards.. so contact the publisher.. they will be happy (most times) to give permission and will specify exactly what the acknowledgement must read... they get more sales as a result.. (unless copyright expired and was not renewed , then public domain)

if you publish without rights .. you can be sued and if they think it worth it, they will sue

your book publisher should know all this.. they handle that stuff as a matter of normal operations..
read here

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/renewals.html

and search .. there's lots on the Inet about copyright law

Ross G Caldwell

rachelcat said:
Only in America!!! Blogger Joseph Cannon has uncovered evidence that George W. Bush may be the grandson of Aleister Crowley. No, it's not a joke. (Well not completely . . .) Here's the link: http://cannonfire.blogspot.com/2006/04/george-w-bush-barbara-bush-and.html

Enjoy!

Wow... I have never come across this idea before, but it is soundly argued.

The only way it could be tested would be, possibly, by DNA samples taken from Barbara and Crowley's only known living descendant (I think he's still alive anyway), who was named "Aleister Ataturk" at birth, but changed his name as an adult to escape the attention of Thelemites. I don't know who he is, but some people do.

Of course, how does Barbara compare to her siblings? Does she look like her "legitimate" father?

I have always thought Barbara was intelligent and cunning, with an iron will. Yet I have nothing but contempt for GWB, he has none of his mother's qualities, except perhaps the inverse side of her virtues (short attention span, stubborn instead of strong willed, etc.), and it would be a shame to think that he shared Crowley's gene pool. But, it's not Aleister's fault.

I think Crowley wouldn't have liked GWB any more than I do, because of his craven religiosity, lack of curiosity, and the fact that he has let himself be mastered by people much more intelligent and manipulative than he could ever be. But, Crowley would probably approve of a secular war against militant Islamism, if not for its Christian coloring this time around.

fyreflye

rachelcat said:
Only in America!!! Blogger Joseph Cannon has uncovered evidence that George W. Bush may be the grandson of Aleister Crowley. No, it's not a joke. (Well not completely . . .) Here's the link: http://cannonfire.blogspot.com/2006/04/george-w-bush-barbara-bush-and.html

Enjoy!

Since Crowley was gay, though pressured by social expectations into heterosexual marriage, and since his preferred point of entry into a partner was not the one that results in pregnancies, I very much doubt the fanciful connection.

Ross G Caldwell

fyreflye said:
Since Crowley was gay, though pressured by social expectations into heterosexual marriage, and since his preferred point of entry into a partner was not the one that results in pregnancies, I very much doubt the fanciful connection.

Crowely could be the poster-boy for bisexuality in men. He said himself he loved women as a man, and men as a woman (meaning he was by inclination a "bottom"; hold the giggles, some people need it spelled out (not necessarily you fyreflye ;-)).

He had several children, and pursued not only two marriages (the second hardly attributable to "social expectation"), but countless relationships with women. All of the latter would have been well outside of any social expectations Crowley could have cared about, and reveal what must have been a real attraction to women.

He was not an Oscar Wilde by any stretch (with all due respect).

fyreflye

Ross G Caldwell said:
Crowely could be the poster-boy for bisexuality in men. He said himself he loved women as a man, and men as a woman (meaning he was by inclination a "bottom"; hold the giggles, some people need it spelled out (not necessarily you fyreflye ;-)).

He had several children, and pursued not only two marriages (the second hardly attributable to "social expectation"), but countless relationships with women. All of the latter would have been well outside of any social expectations Crowley could have cared about, and reveal what must have been a real attraction to women.

He was not an Oscar Wilde by any stretch (with all due respect).

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/05/h...82f18cadf2ad83&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
(registration required)

Nevada

The blog post about Crowley possibly being Barbara Bush's father is dated April 1, so it could be an April Fool's hoax. Just thought I'd mention that. I have no idea whether it's an honest report or not.

Nevada