666. Crowley is God!

Aeon418

wizzle said:
Fuller was able to dissuade another officer who was very interested in meeting Crowley from doing so. Why? I can only again speculate that Crowley's lying about his war activities was the deciding factor.
Fuller and Crowley had fallen out with each other long before the war started.(1911) They had argued over Crowley refusing to testify on behalf of George Cecil Jones. Crowley feared that his homosexuality would be revealed in court during the trial. That would have resulted in Crowley going straight to jail. The same fate befell Osacr Wilde a few years earlier. And we all know what happened to him in prison.

After that Fuller was finished with Crowley forever. Even when Crowley tried to patch things up years later his letters went unanswered. Fuller didn't like Crowley, that's all there is to it.

wizzle

Aeon,

I was indeed wrong about Regardie not being mentioned in the book. He got at least 8 sentences for his two years work. I hadn't quite made it that far in the book when I wrote my earlier post. And yes, Regardie did write about the Beast. Both in the book you cited and in Tree of Life written in 1932, wherein he calls Crowley only "Therion" and not "Master Therion." Also, he says "I hold no brief for the poet (Crowley)...."

And my theories about Fuller's continued avoidance of Crowley, are just that, my own theories.

What constitutes Dion Fortune's "heavy involvement" with Crowley? There is no mention of her involvment with Crowley in Richardson's bio and I remember reading somewhere that Crowley made overtures to her but was shunned. Certainly she made fun of him directly in some of her articles and obliquely when she used him as the model for the evil mage in her books. She was however indebted to Crowley for "spilling the beans" and breaking his GD oaths by his publications, particularly in the Equinox where he passed off Mathers'work as his own. Thereafter, she could publish her material with impunity. Curiously, she did meet Fuller.

I ordered the Crowley and St. Paul bios at the same time. They seemed to me to have a lot in common.

Aeon418

wizzle said:
I was indeed wrong about Regardie not being mentioned in the book. He got at least 8 sentences for his two years work. I hadn't quite made it that far in the book when I wrote my earlier post.
Regardie's rise to fame was after his split with Crowley. During his time with Crowley he was nothing more than a secretary. He never asked Crowley about magick, and Crowley never offered any information. What Regardie learned from Crowley was all via dictation for books and reading on his own. That's why he gets so small a mention in a Crowley biography, he did nothing of note during his time with Crowley.

wizzle said:
What constitutes Dion Fortune's "heavy involvement" with Crowley? There is no mention of her involvment with Crowley in Richardson's bio and I remember reading somewhere that Crowley made overtures to her but was shunned.
See The Quest for Dion Fortune by Janine Chapman. There's a whole chapter on the relationship and correspondence between Crowley and Fortune. There's also an interview with Kenneth Grant who was Crowley's secretary at that time who remembers Fortunes intense interest in the Thoth paintings.
Also mentioned is the burning of all the letters that Fortune saved.

wizzle said:
Certainly she made fun of him directly in some of her articles and obliquely when she used him as the model for the evil mage in her books.
She obviously changed her mind. :D
wizzle said:
I ordered the Crowley and St. Paul bios at the same time. They seemed to me to have a lot in common.
They aren't even in the same league. St.Paul and his doctrine of eternal damnation, sin and guilt have done more damage to this world and millions of people than Crowley will ever do.

Aeon418

wizzle said:
There is no mention of her involvment with Crowley in Richardson's bio
Wasn't Richardson's main source of information The Society of the Inner Light ? They are the same people that destroyed nearly all of Fortune's papers after her death.

prudence

umm, I think this thread is meant more as a goof...a fun spot to post one's 666th post, usually. It isn't meant to be a hard nor serious look at AC.

Lillie

Umm.
Yes

I started it to celebrate my 666th post with a laugh...

But, be serious if you like.
I'm afraid I can never take him seriously.
Too funny for that.

But, you know, go for it if you like.
Me and Astrid will heckle from the sidelines.

prudence

Lillie said:
Umm.
Yes

I started it to celebrate my 666th post with a laugh...

But, be serious if you like.
I'm afraid I can never take him seriously.
Too funny for that.

But, you know, go for it if you like.
Me and Astrid will heckle from the sidelines.

You forgot to say invisibly!

we will heckle, invisibly from the sidelines! :D Just like Wonder Woman in her invisible jet.

wizzle

Sorry Astrid,

will have to make up for any serious posts with another limerick

No sage was Al nor magic
He really was quite tragic
His titles were self-granted
His importance oft supplanted

Better?

Lillie

That's better.

We are wonder woman, in big knickers.

Now, in memory of the great man,

Whoes up for a haggis hunt?

prudence

wizzle said:
Sorry Astrid,

will have to make up for any serious posts with another limerick

No sage was Al nor magic
He really was quite tragic
His titles were self-granted
His importance oft supplanted

Better?
Yes, Wiz, your limericks are always most welcome. ;)

I bet he'd love this one!