Coloring the BOTA Tarot

Alta

Your Empress and your Emperor seem to make it clearer than usual the difference in energy between them.

Chronata

I really like what you did with all the red in the Emperor.

momentarylight

LRichard, I am very impressed with these and tempted to try the colouring myself.

Can you advise where you obtained the cards with the outlines? Are they real cards or simply sketches in a book, and is there a possibility that you are making a usable deck?

Your colouring is very skilled. I can see that it could be quite a meditative process.

Richard

Wow that looks very nice.

Hey what printer are you using?......
Thanks. This deck is just for my personal use. The only thing I've ever gotten printed were some business cards, and the cost was insane.

Richard

LRichard, I am very impressed with these and tempted to try the colouring myself.

Can you advise where you obtained the cards with the outlines? Are they real cards or simply sketches in a book, and is there a possibility that you are making a usable deck?

Your colouring is very skilled. I can see that it could be quite a meditative process.
Thanks. It's an interesting project. Right now I'm just working on the giant cards, majors only. I will do the smaller 78 card deck after this. I think they will stand up to some moderate use. I wouldn't riffle shuffle them, however. You can get them at the B.O.T.A. Store. Very inexpensive.

Richard

Interesting that you are having emotional reactions to the colours. probably why this was developed, makes you feel the cards, not just understand them intellectually. This is getting more and more intriguing.
Yes. It's a fascinating process. The Golden Dawn initiates had to make their own cards from scratch, from a written description of the designs (probably by MacGregor Mathers). Paul Case was a little more merciful to the BOTA initiates.

Zephyros

This is very impressive, and looking at your cards already makes me see details I hadn't noticed before, such as the river behind the Emperor. Does Case mention it? I thought it might have something to do with myths concerning Aries but couldn't find any mention (also, I looked for a river next the Areopagus, but alas, that's too obvious to be true!). The Tree of Life doesn't show the Emperor crossing water either, unless it's the Abyss in which case it would make sense seeing it from a distance like that.

But I digress. Fantastic work. How do you do the shading? I'm going to begin to color the different Crosses and Trees and whatnot soon, but know I'll make a mess of it. :)

Richard

This is very impressive, and looking at your cards already makes me see details I hadn't noticed before, such as the river behind the Emperor. Does Case mention it? I thought it might have something to do with myths concerning Aries but couldn't find any mention (also, I looked for a river next the Areopagus, but alas, that's too obvious to be true!). The Tree of Life doesn't show the Emperor crossing water either, unless it's the Abyss in which case it would make sense seeing it from a distance like that.

But I digress. Fantastic work. How do you do the shading? I'm going to begin to color the different Crosses and Trees and whatnot soon, but know I'll make a mess of it. :)

Case says that the stream is the stream of consciousness, which is the same as that in the Empress, which flows from the robe of the High Priestess.

Everything is connected in Case's theory. For example, the Empress is the High Priestess after the Magician gets her pregnant. The Emperor is the Magician when he is older and cohabiting with the Empress. It is said that Moina Mathers expelled Case from the A.O., because she thought he was preoccupied with sex.

I color in layers. I'll first color in an area very lightly, then go back over it several times, using a little more pressure in those places where I want shading. I just take it slow and easy. There's no rush.

gregory

Real cards - you can get them reasonably priced on abe; on amazon UK the prices are obscene, but other amazons not so bad. Yes, you end up with a usable deck. though in my case also an incredibly ugly one !

Richard

Real cards - you can get them reasonably priced on abe; on amazon UK the prices are obscene, but other amazons not so bad. Yes, you end up with a usable deck. though in my case also an incredibly ugly one !
They have square corners, but that can be fixed. (Gregory has gotten everyone curious about her "ugly" deck. :?:) OMG! BOTA's shipping charge to AU via UPS is around $15 (probably USD)!