Antique Dondorf value?

LindaMechele

I'm just starting to learn about Lenormand and eventually would love to have a real live vintage one, so am trying to learn about values now so I can know how to judge that when I decide to buy.

How much is this deck worth and how old is it? It's a full 36 card deck, no box or anything else (just the cards), and two aren't original but are reproductions (the two obviously-newer ones in the photo). The seller wants about $60 including shipping for it.

Is that low, about right, or too high? Is the deplorable shape really what makes it worth that much less than the $200+ I see for others? Or is there more to it, like are version 4s (which I think this is - more info below) worth less than versions 1, 2, and 3 since they're not as old? And I'd imagine the two repro cards also affect the price negatively, yes? I know it makes me feel that way, that I'd pay more for a fully deck of all-original cards.

In my Googling, I think I've found that it's a version 4 of the Dondorf, but that's about all I can figure out. I found this site says it could be as late as 1933 (it gives a range of publication dates as about 1878 to 1933, a copy on Tag Joritt's site (same backs and same company stamp on the front) that says her version is based on a deck from the late 1880s, and this site shows photos of a copy of a 1910 version.

But I'm having a hard time finding a value for this version in this bad of shape. Anyone got a clue?

Thanks, y'all!

Le Fanu

I think that's a fair price.

It isn't complete. It has the verses which aren't as desirable as the playing card inserts (at least that has been my impression from watching sales). I have an incomplete Dondorf like that - exactly the same (I assume; must be around the same date) but with French verses in that gothick script but I'm afraid I can't remember what I paid for it. I think it was probably around that price. I certainly wouldn't have paid $100 for it since I knew it was incomplete.

Philippe

Insanely overpriced

I have one of these type n° 2 (1878-1933), complete, with french verses, but in much better condition and I paid considerably less for it.

As you, I prefer the verses to the little playing cards inserts that I find distracting and not very useful.

Le Fanu

I suppose value is relative. "Insanely" overpriced it isn't. Insanely overpriced would be $200 or something. People find bargains. My Greenwood cost me 25 pounds on ebay so I could say that a Greenwood for 50 pounds is insanely overpriced, which of course it isn't. Of course we all find bargains and feel good about ourselves but I would say $60 for an old (pre-1933) incomplete set of divination cards (which are quite collectible) is pretty reasonable.

There's always the argument that being incomplete makes it worthless. Is a broken 1930s Lalique piece worth 1 euro because it's broken? Maybe. But in your case you've got the replacement cards so you can at least "use" it although you will spot the new cards a mile off.

LindaMechele

It has the verses which aren't as desirable as the playing card inserts (at least that has been my impression from watching sales).
I didn't realize verses vs. playing cards (that was fun to say:p) makes a difference price-wise. I like the idea of verses since they add a touch of romance, but since I haven't done readings with the decks I do have, that may change as I gain more experience. I have three owls - a blue with English verses that I understand aren't accurate (they do read a bit ... um ... forced? Even to this lenormand neophyte.), a blue with playing card inserts, and a red with French verses coming in the mail.

I have an incomplete Dondorf like that - exactly the same (I assume; must be around the same date) but with French verses in that gothick script but I'm afraid I can't remember what I paid for it. I think it was probably around that price. I certainly wouldn't have paid $100 for it since I knew it was incomplete.
Yours is in as rough shape as this one? That's good to know. I don't mind the worn condition. I actually prefer it to a pristine one. Something that was used so many times in private, hushed rooms to help calm worried people and guide them through life, which was much tougher back then? Something like that that may be a hundred years old, too? Gah! I'd pay sixty bucks to be the next caretaker of that even if (because) it isn't as conventionally-attractive-looking as an unused or rarely used deck. Ones like this one were used in those hushed rooms amid hushed voices. The pristine ones weren't, at least not often. My history-teacher father instilled in me a great appreciation for old things and all that they've seen. I can only imagine how many people these cards have seen, and every one of them with a story.

Insanely overpriced

I have one of these type n° 2 (1878-1933), complete, with french verses, but in much better condition and I paid considerably less for it :

https://www.sendspace.com/file/lc4f6n

As you, I prefer the verses to the little playing cards inserts that I find distracting and not very useful.
Lucky you, Phillippe! And thanks for posting the link, but it took me to a page where I had to click a download button to see the photo. I hesitate to do that, what with all the viruses and things. (And just fyi, it didn't pass my antivirus' test - it set it off.)

I suppose value is relative. ... Of course we all find bargains and feel good about ourselves but I would say $60 for an old (pre-1933) incomplete set of divination cards (which are quite collectible) is pretty reasonable.
After seeing all the other decks in much better shape varying from $100+ to over $200 (and a couple pristine ones for way more than those), I kind of figured they were priced about right, Le Fanu.

Yeah, it'd be nice to get a deal and I hope I do, hence why I'm doing my homework now. But I'm fine paying a fair price, so long as it's fair for both sides - another reason I'm doing my homework well in advance.

There's always the argument that being incomplete makes it worthless. Is a broken 1930s Lalique piece worth 1 euro because it's broken? Maybe. But in your case you've got the replacement cards so you can at least "use" it although you will spot the new cards a mile off.
That's what I was thinking as I looked at the listing - that I would be fine with a couple of replacement cards since I would still be able to enjoy the entire deck, and enjoy it I would. Carefully, yes. But I would. Thanks for the information.

(Btw, did you see this post on the "How do you store your cards" thread? Another listing find from Ebay: a massive and gorgeous cabinet that I'd say is also a bit curious, so I had to post it over there. I've read your blog a bit and thought of your collection when I saw it. CAN you fill it? :joke:)

Philippe

And thanks for posting the link, but it took me to a page where I had to click a download button to see the photo. I hesitate to do that, what with all the viruses and things. (And just fyi, it didn't pass my antivirus' test - it set it off.)

Sorry, I read your post too rapidly and thought the seller was asking 200$. But even at 60$ I find it overpriced (very used, dirty, missing cards).
I have found a program to reduce the pic's size :

Attachments

• Dond2.jpg
    Dond2.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 146