Deviant Moon; The Fool

callistoluna

He looks happy anyway. He's running (or dancing) and has turned to look at the fish who has attached himself to the Fool's shin (lol, hebrew alphabet letter shin = tooth!!)

You have to laugh at yourself when you do something silly. But sometimes doing something so spontaneous makes you feel so alive. The Fool is moving and even though something has bitten him. Even though he may not have wanted to get bitten, he has and that is part of the experience. It also makes it unique and memorable. Anyone can run through the water (if they were so inclined) but how many of these other Fools can say I got bit! It makes for interesting telling afterward.

I once went fishing with a friend. He had several years experience over me. I had the Fool's number - 0! He used your normal everyday bait (as recommended by professional fishermen for the type of fish we were catching) and I decided for a laugh I'd use some tasty cheese. Well 10 minutes later I had a huge fish on my line (a golden perch)! Then suddenly my friend thought he'd try the same thing. We got a lot of bites that night:)

FYI - I threw him back into the water afterwards. The fish, that is!

allen770

0/The Fool = "shin"?!!?

callistoluna said:
He looks happy anyway. He's running (or dancing) and has turned to look at the fish who has attached himself to the Fool's shin (lol, hebrew alphabet letter shin = tooth!!)

On another Tarot Group site the question was proposed: Since the VIII/Justice & XI/Strength keys are "Old School" and the number XIII as well as the word "Death" does not appear upon that key, then, why does 0/The Fool appear at the beginning of the Deviant Moon Tarot deck?

Perhaps it would make more "sense" for the key to be at the end, or even between XX/Jedgment and XX!/The World, ah?

--FRA.:.V

seeker1969

To me, for some reason, this card is all about dreams...the kind you have at night and the kind you make up as you go along. It seems to tell me not to take it all too seriously. Like he's saying "Oh look, now a stupid fish is biting me!". Sometimes to me it seems to be saying that we should pay attention to that little inner message we get when we are about to do something foolish. This card comes up for me a lot when I am trying to figure out a dream meaning.

Umbrae

allen770 said:
On another Tarot Group site the question was proposed: Since the VIII/Justice & XI/Strength keys are "Old School" and the number XIII as well as the word "Death" does not appear upon that key, then, why does 0/The Fool appear at the beginning of the Deviant Moon Tarot deck?

Perhaps it would make more "sense" for the key to be at the end, or even between XX/Jedgment and XX!/The World, ah?

--FRA.:.V
In many decks, the Fool is marked with the glyph we call zero AND the letter Shin.

staroflondon

When i saw this card, I thought of the nonesense poem by Edward Lear, 'The Owl and the Pussycat' and the phrase -
The Moon,
The Moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.

He appears to me as if he is dancing with joy - or even 'sleepdancing' since he is still dressed in his pjs. And, this fool's journey does not begin during the day as in most decks - but at night when the moon is out and other forces are at play.

I agree with the dreaming reference as in dreams you can be whoever you want, wherever you want and with whomever you want. A blissful state without expectation or care for the future. In dreams, you are actively in the moment, 'living the dream....'

And the fish - maybe it's an evolutionary reference - one - that we come from the water and two - that we are still evolving as human beings. And maybe as individuals, when one tries to change and move forward in life, there are always other people who don't want them to change and don't like that change and want to hold them back - possibly by biting or interfering with their journey.

Myrrha

This is such a great card.

The Fool is walking through water that is almost up to his knees. He is dancing right through the canal like some kind of nutter. Most of us would take one look at the mossy greenish water and say "yuchhh" but the fool just splashes right in. He is not so aware of the need to keep one's clothing clean and dry, and one's demeanor buttoned down.

He is a beginner, one who has not yet learned the way things are "supposed" to be done, or who he is supposed to care about impressing. For this reason he can seize the moment and act without pre-conceptions and in an original way.

Water symbolizes the unconscious, and when that darn moon pulls it it can come rising up, and the Fool is reveling in it. He is at home in the waters of the unconscious and can be true to his own deeper sources of motivation and impulse. Maybe he finds this connection with his own originality in his dreams as his jester's hat looks like a night cap, which relates him to the world of sleep and dreams. The waxing moon shows that this is a fertile card, a time of new beginnings and creative energy.

Lion

Looks like he's pointing at the fish with his left hand?

he either got straight out of bed and went to dance in the canal, or he is dancing in his dreams, was just happily splashing along - out jumps the fish. I get the impression he is surprised by the fish - snapped his head back to look, his right hand is wide open. I also get sort of an impression of - he was wondering if this is all a dream, but now the fish has bitten him, and feeling that bite - like pinching yourself - is telling him that it's not a dream after all.

Surja76

Right hand of the Fool has three fingers - 3 of wands. and his left finger aimed to his head. He shows us that he has new plan, new project was born in his head. His fingers and his head is just under the Moon. it means that this new plan is illusory and deceptive. This is mad plane

He seemed to be escaped. He reminds me both midnight sweepworker - symbol of night and night madness, and prisoner in his stripes cloth who just escaped from prison.

He is escaping from fishes. Pieces.... From Era of Pieces to Era of Aquarius. Fish is an acronym for the name of Jesus Christ, and nearly all the apostles were fishermen, and the Pope is still called "fisherman" and wears a ring with amethyst of fisherman.
Venus is exaltation sign of Pisces, that is the highest peak - the planet of love. Therefore, the church canonized the postulate of "God is love" is deeply inherent in the sign of Pisces.
However, the main planet in the sign of Pisces - a Neptune, planet of deception, illusions and delusions. Where is an effect of Neptune, everything is fluid, vague, uncertain.
For example, we know that Jesus Christ did not left behind any written lines, and all the New Testament texts were written by people who never saw Jesus Christ alive and lived themselves for more than fifty years after the crucifixion.

Time has changed, life has changed. New crazy iders come true with new Era, they are different and strange to thouth people used to for centuries.

We can see boat on the card. This boat is without oar. That means you are targeting the situation and use only what you are offered, while showing some initiative, you could achieve much more.

irisa

I really like Patrick's thoughts on this card, (can't wait for the companion book) and I had them noted in my journal so I thought they might be a useful addition in this thread.

The fool is a sleepwalker and wears a pajama-like outfit. He is entranced by his nocturnal visions.

A boat represents the start of his travels. The fish show that even though he is in a dreamlike state, reality still bites him and will follow him through his adventure.

He treads water for he is on the cusp of the conscious and subconscious realms. A dream state between the two. Neither fully in one nor the other.
from Deviant Moon Blog

miss-tique

I've red somewhere that a fish represents wishdom.
So maybe the fish biting his shin know's more about a situation and wants to inform the fool about it?