Austin Osman Spare Tarot

Nosgo

I would love to see some pictures of the physical book if some of you want to share :)

Sumada

I would love to see some pictures of the physical book if some of you want to share :)
de9b884025fce81b7372fdb0796913b3.jpg
1196f3a36a23f7f4ff7b46972afe113d.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Sumada

End papers
f862fc6304d0635e0d540e3251a007f5.jpg
fd76c627c4edbcbf800dcfee4c751230.jpg
206506c30f377869382e1b0085c25bf4.jpg
564b53f69c756fb73432b2fc8bef76db.jpg

Sumada

I missed out on the limited ed., so I ordered the standard version and was pleasantly surprised to find that AOS's glyph is still debossed on the front :-D
The whole thing is the most beautiful quality throughout!
Apparently the flash version has some fold out pages and a serial #. But I'm very satisfied with what I received...

Nosgo

Thank you a lot Sumada for the pictures, it looks beautiful! I think I won't wait too long before getting one ahah :)

Moonlit Hermit

...The entire deck life size, one card per page, full colour, except #11 for some reason...

Apparently Strength was stolen from the deck long ago while the deck moldered on a shelf. Thankfully a photograph had been shot so the image still exists.

I was so inspired by the idea of the split images and messages that I bought a large size TdM to start making my own notations.
Queen of Cups + 2 of Cups = Deep Secrets.

At first I was really tentative to take this on, mostly because I was resistant to assigning too much meaning to combinations, but I decided to take it in the spirit of experimentation.

Patrick Booker

I have just ordered a copy from Treadwell's. There seems to be some interesting material here.

Patrick

Patrick Booker

A courier has just handed it to me. A beautiful piece of work. Most of what I know about Spare comes from a book I read some 40 years ago, I think by Neville Drury (might have been 'The Path of the Chameleon', but I am not certain). It explained his 'sigils', concentrated symbols abstracted from letters as a focus of the will. There is also something about him in 'The Zelator' (David Ovason/Mark Hedsel). I should learn a bit more from this book.

Patrick

Teheuti

I think three kinds of people here would really enjoy this book:

* those who are interested in Austin Osman Spare.

* those who are interested in cartomancy based on old English cartomancy systems.

* those who want to take an imaginative approach to creating a personal flashcard system for card meanings and combinations - using this as inspiration.

You aren't going to learn a lot about Tarot. The Major Arcana seems based on Mathers 1888 book and Papus' Tarot of the Bohemians.

The most specific inspiration for the Minors (cartomancy-based) seems to be the first book by "Minetta", although the "Prof. Foli” book (or Pearson's Fortune Telling) would also do. However many of the meanings differ from these sources which may be due to Spare learning to read the cards when he was young from a neighbor, whose proficiency with the cards he greatly admired.

I found the deck intriguing and the book fascinating -- with a lot still to be discovered about the deck.

The book is beautifully published.

gregory

It is indeed. Now I want cards....