One Deck Wonder

Ruby7

I will stick with my original choice "The Celestial". I have been going through all my decks the past few days and had thought of going with the VR since I haven't really used it yet, but I think the Celestial is a good choice for me. It's a challenge and will make me really look and think about the cards. When I use a RWS or RWS clone I have a tendency to not look to far into the card and feel very limited by my mind, it's like it just doesn't want to think any further, do any more work than it has to. I have a very lazy brain that needs to be pushed and challenged.

Good luck everybody!!
Ruby7

Apocalipstick

This is all giving me an idea, one that admittedly has been bouncing around in inchoate form some time.

That is, take 22 equally sized pieces of cardstock, with nothing but the trump names on them, and use them for readings. Theoretically, this could be done with all 78 cards, but I'm lazy and working with just the majors seems more expedient.

No images, no spin, nothing but the words and whatever occurs to me about them.

May not be the prettiest deck around, but it'll probably be very interesting to see how it'll get the job done. Six months may be a bit much, but I could theoretically do three.

I'm petty curious to see what comes up, now that I'm thinking about it.

Emily

valeria said:
Holy Cow! I get to start today with the International Icon! I swear that Jeannette has a time machine or something. I just ordered the deck Thursday and it is in my grubby mitts today!

So, starting today, I commit to using the Icon for all readings I do other than the Window/Door readings. I'll try a month for now.

Woohoo!

Hey! I didn't know it GLOWS in the dark, too! SWEET! :thumbsup:

Ohhh I didn't know it glows in the dark! - I'm going to have to get mine out again now just to check LOL

Edit

You have a spooky deck Valeria - mine doesn't glow - I feel I'm sort of well missing out :p - I wanted a spooky glow in the dark Icon })

Sheri

Emily said:
Ohhh I didn't know it glows in the dark! - I'm going to have to get mine out again now just to check LOL

Edit

You have a spooky deck Valeria - mine doesn't glow - I feel I'm sort of well missing out :p - I wanted a spooky glow in the dark Icon })

Maybe it doesn't...I just checked out the box some more and discovered the name of the company is "GlowInTheDark Pictures, LLC". Their logo is a black square with spooky "Glow in the Dark" written in it. So maybe I am just confused...

But I say there should be a law that if your company is named something like that - you have to produce decks that are like that - Glow in the Dark!

Despite the fact it might not glow in the dark, it is a pretty cool deck. Sort of shocking to look at after working with the Belmont and Golden for several months.

lunakasha

EarthAngel2911 said:
Actually, I saw a few people who had done that earlier in this thread, and that's where I got the idea.

Oh yes, of course (OOPS) :eek:
Well, I like the idea, so THANKS to the person who suggested it initially (sorry, can't remember who it was offhand)

I seem to be getting the most out of the Universal Fantasy; it just seems to speak to me the loudest. But again, I just don't want to give up my Victorian Romantic... :( It's been an awfully long time since I've felt this attached to a deck.... What to do? I guess I would be cheating if I used both? :angel:

I narrowed my five choices down to two: Morgan Greer (my "old reliable") and Victorian Romantic. And it was not an easy decision.....but finally went with the Victorian Romantic because it is brand new (literally, never shuffled until last night) and I felt it would be fun and interesting to spend lots of time with. After reading so many rave reviews....I want to see what all the fuss is about, hehe!!!

For today's advice card: King of Pentacles

I wrote a few impressions in my ODW journal....I was struck by the look of calm on his face....a quiet, patient man. I was also wondering about the person walking beside him....I may take a peek at the VR study threads to see if this card has been discussed yet.

:) Luna

lunakasha

I do have a question, for LB and maybe others like elf who have already been down this "one deck" road before.....

I know that you are packing up and/or avoiding decks in your own collection, to avoid temptation....but how about viewing other decks online???

Is this acceptable, or not....and if not, how do we avoid this online temptation without avoiding AT or computers altogether??? :confused:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!

:) Luna

PS: I do not plan to avoid AT, as a whole (obviously!) but will try to resist peeking at "certain" threads, as well as websites that are just too tempting....})

Emily

When I did this study the first time round, I still viewed decks online but I didn't buy any or read any other decks apart from the Old Path. I did fall off the wagon once with the Golden Tarot and once with a cheap photo-collage RWS - I also packed some of my other decks away, the ones that I thought would tempt me.

I'm not packing my decks away this time round though - I'm going to use willpower. :D

lunakasha

Emily said:
I'm not packing my decks away this time round though - I'm going to use willpower. :D

Thanks Emily!

I think I am going to test my willpower too, as I will not be packing my decks away. I am committed to ONLY read with the one deck, and to avoid purchasing or excessive ogling of online decks....(except for preorders, which I will resist opening until the end of the month). It will be nice to stay focused on just one, while also having something to look forward to later. :D

Ruby7

Well, I am thinking that I might be going about this the wrong way with the Celestial tarot. I just got the set with the book and was looking forward to studying it (using the book). Yet, one of the purposes of this exercise is not to use books so I am putting myself at crossed purposes by doing this. Or am I just trying to find an excuse to change decks and buy the International Icon which previously has not appealed to me, and now is very appealing to me.

I was going through all my decks trying to decide which one I would use and it is always something about the faces that made me not choose that particular deck. The fact that the International Icon has no faces takes care of that problem.

I will decide by tomorrow, Celestial or International Icon? All comments are welcome.

Ruby7

Pook

I was having such a hard time deciding which deck to use for this study. Originally I thought I would use a simple deck with pips for minors....then i realized that there is no way I could make it through to the end of 6 months. I have yet to read with a pip-for-minors deck and it would be too much for me to take I think. (Which is, incidentally, why I have yet to order a Marseille deck and join in the historical area of the forum.) Then I thought of using the Victorian Romantic and blanched at that idea, thinking that this would then become a VR study with so many using the same deck. Plus I was a bit concerned that with so many others using theis deck, I would then think of what someone else said about some little point, and not remember what I thought on my own. (Silly? maybe...but still a thought I had) And then I found a retail priced copy of a Buckland Romani at a local book store, and i soo want to play with it, but I'm afraid 6 months of constant use will damage it, and if I fall in love, it will be hard to replace.

And what I've decided is.....that I dont care how many other people are using the VR...I'm going to as well....I've had it for a couple of weeks, and have enjoyed the time I've spent with it, so even if I am "following the crowd," I'm ok with that. The point is to remain focused right? Not worry about what other people are doing. Listen to the cards.

And on another note...watch the trading forum (those of you who are watching this thread but not participating anyway :D)....Deciding which deck to use made me consider each deck in my collection and realize all of the reasons I have each of them. The ones I dont read with or am considering studying at a later time or keeping for a personal collection will be up for trade in the very near future.