One Deck Wonder

connegrl

I'm in. Umbrae convinced me that my Il Meneghello Sorprafino wont hold up to intensive use. So I ordered the Ancient Italian today. It has a few subtle differences and I'll need to actually get the guts to break a deck of cards. I'll start on the 1st with my Soprafino and then switch over. The Ancient Italian appears to be a later printing of the Soprafino, so I don't think its really breaking any *rules*.

I've been trading lately and its going to be hard to resist drooling over my new aquisitions when they show up. I may need support!

I also have an intro to reading with Playing cards that I signed up for on April 13th. I'm going to it and taking notes for later. If I like the method, I can pick it up at a later date. Mostly the class is for fun and socializing!

So, the plan is for me, my deck of cards and my notebook to build a relationship. No peeking at meanings or being tempted by other decks. I do have this burning desire to compare cards from my Soprafino to earlier and later decks, so I guess I need to get that out of my system before Sunday.

I'm commiting to 3 months and I'll see how I feel about continuing at that time.

Jen

Little Baron

Great Connegrl.

I have the Soprafino and also bought the Italian so that I could be less precious with the deck. The cards are a bit different, but they are nice also. Different pips. But I think it is a good all round deck.

I look forward to your joining us.

And support you, we will.

LB

EarthAngel2911

Ooohhh, what a GREAT idea! One of the questions I've had for a while is how do other collectors use their decks? I have so many beautiful decks, but never enough time to use them all. If I spent as much time studying my decks rather than shopping for them, I'd probably be a master reader by now!

But.... gosh, I just don't know if I could commit to only one... for so long.... And it's not that I feel the need to buy lots of decks. That's quelled quite a bit this year. But I guess I am a bit fickle when it comes to my decks. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to use a particular deck. However....... it would be wonderful to develop a deep relationship with one particular deck.... get to know it...

Ok. So here's the next problem... which deck?? I've been using the Victorian Romantic for FTN readings, and it's been wonderful. I'm trying to participate in the BABA Comparison threads, and that's been great. (LB, I've got my comparisons done through the Six of Swords but haven't had time to post them this past week. Health things going on, you know. But now I see that you've abandoned it! Whatever will we do? ;) )

But I've also been doing daily draws and readings with my Universal Fantasy, and this deck has been great this past week with all the health questions I've had for myself.

Ok, but here's a question... It seems as if this exercise would work best with one of the more traditional decks, RWS, Crowley, Thoth, simply because if you know the RWS backwards and forwards, for example, then you could probably read with most other RWS-based decks. But to use such a variant, as in the Universal Fantasy, does that kind of defeat the purpose? Or is the purpose to know A deck of choice, not to apply to other decks later, but just to bond with That deck? Hmmm... that sounds good. :) So I guess I could use the Universal Fantasy... But I love my Victorian Romantic! And I was really enjoying that comparison thread...

Egads! I need to clear my poor brain for a bit I think! :D And feel free to leave some input! :)

Papageno

EarthAngel2911 said:
Ooohhh, what a GREAT idea! One of the questions I've had for a while is how do other collectors use their decks? I have so many beautiful decks, but never enough time to use them all. If I spent as much time studying my decks rather than shopping for them, I'd probably be a master reader by now!

why do they all have to be "used" ? ie. read with

most of mine are simply enjoyed for the beauty of the art and the concept

Little Baron

I am sure that, in terms of the comparison threads, it will be temporary abandonment. I will return. And hopefully, after this project, with much more to say. Well, that is the idea.

So you could join me on this one for the time being. Is the Universal Fantasy the LoS one. I think it would be good to go with which ever deck you think will give you a good ride. Maybe even one you think you might not like. It is connection that is important to me, so it doesn't matter which. Imagine you are in the desert island senario and could only take one for that period of time. It may seem like a long time, but when you get into it, it might not seem like enough.

So really, they dont have to be traditional. It's what you put in, regardless.

LB

Little Baron

Papageno said:
why do they all have to be "used" ? ie. read with

most of mine are simply enjoyed for the beauty of the art and the concept

They dont.

But as I said before, many of the people that are coming to this study are doing so because they have not wanted to slot into either collecting or just appreciating a deck's beauty. They have wanted to read with the vast amount and it has not been possible. And with each, disappointment has set in.

This thread has nothing to do with owning for the mear pleasure of flipping through on the odd occasion. It is about reading. And reading with just one, to help focus and understand patterns and recurrent detail.

LB

SolSionnach

Tarot of Origins, Imagination?

As I've been browsing this thread, it occurred to me that perhaps I should pick a more obscure deck for this process - and I was wondering, has anyone been successful reading with either the Tarot of Origins, or the Tarot of the Imagination? Just glancing through them I find that the latter has pretty evocative, readable cards, but I do love the TOrigins.

Thoughts?

Umbrae

LittleBuddha said:
It is about reading. And reading with just one, to help focus and understand patterns and recurrent detail.

LB

Ultimately, a result of focus is an increased ability to adapt to diverse imagery, and an enhanced reading ability.

Sparseness of imagery for an extended period really works…

Formicida

LittleBuddha said:
It may seem like a long time, but when you get into it, it might not seem like enough.

I'll confirm that. My study, rather different from most of yours, was initially intended to be a 22-week thing, one week for each of the majors. When I started in September, I was a little bit frightened at the thought of using only one deck! until January!!

And now it's the end of March and I'm just finishing up Death, and I can't believe how much time has passed. It doesn't feel that long. Especially if you have a lot of other things going on in your life, the time flies by.