VTG Albano-Waite Large Format Booklet?!?

Lisa Myobun

Not sure if this is the best place for this query... (Mods: just let me know if it should be moved).

I just scored a 6x9.25" 38 page heavy card stock BWB (big white book) that's entitled "Tarot Instructions" and is copyrighted 1968 Tarot Productions. See pix below...

Anyone familiar with this???

7574dd33625c757a2c6ec012bbc5bee2.jpg

b39fcfd4f0190b34e49acec682474225.jpg

4a2fb148c96735671c2994b3e6c199ea.jpg

6e080606b6b4852d514b025da7e2422f.jpg

EmpyreanKnight

The text for the Lovers card is exactly the same as in A. E. Waite's Pictorial Key to the Tarot. I think this is just another printing of the very same book.

rwcarter

I had a copy of that at one point. Don't remember if I still do or not.

EmpyreanKnight

Btw, HERE is a copy of the Pictorial Key book that is freely available online.

And HERE is the part of that online book that deals with the Lovers card. You can see how it is the very same text in the third link you gave, LisaMyobun.

Lisa Myobun

The text for the Lovers card is exactly the same as in A. E. Waite's Pictorial Key to the Tarot. I think this is just another printing of the very same book.

Yes I noticed that some of the text is from PKT - not all, however. And Tarot Productions is Frankie Albano's publisher, right?

Lisa Myobun

I had a copy of that at one point. Don't remember if I still do or not.

You had a copy of this same booklet? Do you remember where or how you acquired it?

rwcarter

Yes I noticed that some of the text is from PKT - not all, however. And Tarot Productions is Frankie Albano's publisher, right?
Yes, Tarot Productions produced the various versions of the Albano-Waite before USG took over.

You had a copy of this same booklet? Do you remember where or how you acquired it?
Probably got it in one of the many lots of tarot decks I purchased off eBay.

EmpyreanKnight

Ah yes, at 38 pages it is too short to cover the whole book, and maybe the booklet just copied the book's card meanings altho it seems like some sections of the booklet (like the Additional Meanings of the Lesser Arcana and the Recurrence of the Cards) were also available in the PKT.

BTW since the PKT's copyright has already lapsed as far as I know, parts of the text (or even its entirety) may be reproduced by any publisher without legal repercussions.

EmpyreanKnight

Ah, HERE is a very useful resource that discusses the LWB (Large White Book lol) you have, Lisa. It also mentions that it is, in fact, a truncated version of the PKT. Hope that helped.

Edit: it also seems like this cannot be the LWB for the Majors-only Giant Albano deck since I dont think an RWS Tarot deck would even reach 6"x9.25".

Lisa Myobun

Ah, HERE is a very useful resource that discusses the LWB (Large White Book lol) you have, Lisa. It also mentions that it is, in fact, a truncated version of the PKT. Hope that helped.

Edit: it also seems like this cannot be the LWB for the Majors-only Giant Albano deck since I dont think an RWS Tarot deck would even reach 6"x9.25".

This IS very helpful - thanks EK! I should have checked Dusty White's site before posting. This is fantastic!

One thing though: there's material in the booklet that isn't in the PKT... not sure of the source. Check this out:

ee68fad8018de1242ef7e537bc90d471.jpg

Reference further down that page to "the latest inventory of the New York Public Library"... maybe this was stolen from the University Books LWB??

ETA Haven't done any research to look for sources, however...