Testing the Waters - Advice Needed

Barleywine

I'm very close to the point of being ready to self-publish my 70-page compilation of advanced spreads and commentary. Everything has been assembled into a seamless pdf document with many full-color illustrations. I have a few choices to make: I can offer it as an "on-line only" publication via Paypal and avoid start-up costs, I can obtain the necessary hardware and materials to produce a spiral-bound "workbook-style" printed version - my own preference as a user - obviously entailing higher production and delivery costs and, necessarily, a higher cover price, or I can do both. I also see that Amazon offers a "self-publish with us" option that might ease distribution problems. One thing I'm reasonably sure about is that I'm not prepared to deal first-hand with the new European VAT (I'm not even sure I understand it correctly), so I will be doing primarily US (or perhaps Western Hemisphere) sales only.

For those of you with self-publishing experience (more than a few of you, I believe), how did you handle these choices and other decisions involved in the process? Perhaps you can recommend a book or blog that will walk me through it?

decan

I have no self-publishing experience, but you have as well Lulu.com.
Robert Place for example sells "the Fool's Journey" in PDF format or paperback (but the paperback is expensive, probably because of the many illustrations large size in color) on Lulu.com

One thing I'm reasonably sure about is that I'm not prepared to deal first-hand with the new European VAT (I'm not even sure I understand it correctly), so I will be doing primarily US (or perhaps Western Hemisphere) sales only.
I don't think it's too difficult; otherwise Lulu.com know how to deal with this.