Tarot by Piers Anthony

shadowdancer

I have just started this book having got the urge to read some tarot fiction.

It seems intriguing but wondered if anyone has read it through who got anything out of it, not just the fact it is an entertaining piece of literature?

Views appreciated!

Davina

Alissa

I read the trilogy years ago when it was leant to me by a member of this forum, and while it wasn't a bad book(s), neither did I find it very "tarotic".

coyoteblack

It was a wonderfully book I liked it a lot . while it was not overly concerned with a lot of tarot meanings it was a great debate on god verse the devil.

I read it about 3 times if my parents id not accidentally through it away I would have read it again.

memries

I must have but don't remember it. I have read many, many of his books and used to be an avid fan. He seemed to get a bit to "something" for me and now I don't have the patience. I will always love the Xanth series though. They were the best I think.

Egypt Urnash

I read this years ago when I was eleven or so and reading all the Anthony I could get my hands on. Most of the trilogy is really a series of different Histories Of Tarot, playing with the different narratives of it. Anthony did a reasonably broad bit of research, and couldn't resist info-dumping it on the reader. (Compare and contrast this with his book Steppe: in the foreword to a later reprint, he admitted that his overt intent in this SFnal retelling of the life of Genghis Khan was, well, to slip a bit of world history under his reader's barriers. The giant Tarot history infodump may have been just as deliberate.)

It was mostly just another mildly clever bit of science fantasy from Antony, before he hit upon just the right chord in Xanth. It did, however, leave a few nuggets of basic information that made it a bit easier to pick up more detail later in life. I cannot for the life of me remember how the story ended but the game of 'clothespin' still lingers.