Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs Spread

Master_Margarita

lavendercloud said:
I'd be interested in hearing if anyone knows more about the connection between chakras and Maslow's hierarchy. I had never heard of them in relation to each other before.

I tried googling this subject and found some stuff, but I haven't sat down to evaluate how sound it is. The connection seems fairly logical though (many logical connections are, however, wrong).

M_M~

bigcaat

Master_Margarita said:
I tried googling this subject and found some stuff, but I haven't sat down to evaluate how sound it is. The connection seems fairly logical though (many logical connections are, however, wrong).

M_M~
The Chakras correlated with Abraham Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs:

First chakra correlated with Maslow's Survival Needs
Second Chakra correlated with Maslow's Security needs (longer time and children)
[no parallel to 3rd chakra]
Fourth chakra correlated with Maslow's Belonging Needs
Fifth Chakra correlated with Maslow's Esteem Needs (especially with regard to fame, making a name for oneself)
Sixth Chakra correlated with Maslow's Self-Actualization Needs
Seventh Chakra correlated with Maslow's Self -Transcendence Needs

Furthermore, Maslow's lower needs are deficiency needs; his higher needs are being needs. [/color]

http://facstaff.elon.edu/sullivan/7chakras.htm

Pendle Hill

What a coincidence, I posted on exactly the same subject months ago and no-one was very interested!!!! April 8th, if anyone fancies a look.

Master_Margarita

Pendle Hill said:
What a coincidence, I posted on exactly the same subject months ago and no-one was very interested!!!! April 8th, if anyone fancies a look.

I wouldn't say nobody: Elven posted to this thread. And I wasn't a member when the original thread was posted or I would have responded then.

It's an interesting spread no matter who does it.

M_M~

firecatpickles

Excellent spread!

This is a bit off-topic, but not really.

I wonder if any psych majors could tell us the relationship between Maslow's studies & his knowledge of the Hindu chakras? Was he into near eastern philosophy? Anyone else notice a connection here?

Ravenne

What an amazing spread this is! I've used it this afternoon and it's stunning. As you go along, you get to see connections between the tiers of the pyramid, where someone is blocked and in which fields (tiers of pyramid) this causes problems and so on. I was really surprised. One of the most amazing spreads and reading I've ever done so far!
I can recommend anyone to give this one a whirl!

Ravenne

Amanda

Ha! Sweet. I was just telling someone about this very concept, and here someone's made a spread of it. I'll have to give this a try later. :)

D-rea

This spread is truly brilliant! I learned about Maslow in a management class I took a little while back, and I dreaded it! This gives me a whole new perspective on his theory-
I only wish my tarot skills were good enough to give this a whirl, but I will save it for a later date-
Thank you!

Naomi_Ink

I really liked this spread. I used it to do a reading on myself, and the experience was very good. I made a blog post about it here ( http://naomi-ink.tumblr.com/post/145387343326/maslows-hierarchy-of-needs-tarot-spread ) if anyone wants to read that. I think I may try it with my Gypsy Witch Deck soon though, while it isn't actually tarot, using the suits as what they relate to in the elements, then taking out the Kings, Queens, and Jacks, to use in place of the Major Arcana for the 9th card. I'll make a post about how that one goes too probably!

Barleywine

This is the sort of thing that gets my imagination going!

A few thoughts:

Rather than randomly picking a Trump card for position #9, how about using the "quintessence" approach for selecting it, by combining the numerical values of cards 1 through 8? I don't use the quint much, but the thing that intrigues me about it is that it relies on the cards already dealt to produce a roll-up or summation of their combined "essence." This makes it a more "internal" than "external" consideration, and a more "organic" one to boot. I'm thinking that the synthesis of the first eight cards would serve as a kind of "launching pad" for the transcendant realization of Card 9. There are various ways of arriving at the quint shown in other threads here.

I was wondering if there is any methodical way of looking at the transition between the pairs of one tier and those of the next, from a tarot interpretation perspective rather than Maslow's hierarchical one. When there's a dual train present, it's kind of natural to "plateau" the sets rather than seeing them as "ascending steps." I'm always looking for the flow in a spread as away to smooth out abrupt conceptual leaps. It almost suggests the qabalistic "Path of the Serpent" for ascending the Tree of Life.

Because it has a branching structure (although it's really more a "converging" one), I was toying with the idea of some kind of "left brain/right brain" paradigm going up the sides (even though that model seems to have been discredited, it still creates useful comparisons). It almost works!

It might be interesting to create three spreads at once (one with just pips, one entirely with courts, and one with majors only), and then overlay them to get a kind of three-dimensional profile. That would increase the level of effort greatly, of course, but it would offer some really interesting insights. You might even create a "grand quintessence" by summing the three top-tier cards.