Dislike the Majors? - Robin Wood Tarot

Emily

The Robin Wood was the first deck that I bought because everyone seemed to like it. I opened the box and knew I'd made a huge mistake - too many perfect pretty people, I can remember liking the Moon but not the Empress which is usually a favourite card. I used the deck maybe twice and then that was it. I did later trade it.

The deck was used to illustrate the book I was studying with at the time - Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis and it didn't look too bad in black and white LOL

Tryska

i love the Robin Wood majors.

Death, High Priestess and Magician are my favorites. I also like World, mainly because so often in the traditional imagery the female form has no perspective. I like Robins "realistic" style.

Phoenix Rising

I really dislike the Heirophant in this deck..he just looks too popish, and the little boys look like they've been reprimanded by him, or too scared to step out of line or something, or else he'd likely give them a swipe.

CLRC

Phoenix Rising said:
I really dislike the Heirophant in this deck..he just looks too popish, and the little boys look like they've been reprimanded by him, or too scared to step out of line or something, or else he'd likely give them a swipe.
I totally agree. But after reading the book, I found that the hierophant looks that way due to her feelings on the subject of that card. So the fact that the boys look like they are being reprimanded is a testiment to her ability to convey emotions.

The companion book has changed my opinions of the deck entirely. I loved it at first, but the more I learn the more I think the deck in phenominal.
Kelly

Phoenix Rising

CLRC said:
I totally agree. But after reading the book, I found that the hierophant looks that way due to her feelings on the subject of that card. So the fact that the boys look like they are being reprimanded is a testiment to her ability to convey emotions.

The companion book has changed my opinions of the deck entirely. I loved it at first, but the more I learn the more I think the deck in phenominal.
Kelly
Hi Kelly,
Is the Heirophant a female? I haven't looked at it in a long while, but I'm sure he's a male...must get it out again.

The Robin Wood was my first tarot reading deck..although I don't hold many, I quite liked it for it's clear and simple pictures. I may try doing a New Years reading with it again along side my Playing cards.

cheers
PR

Kobarot

I agree with the thoughts concerning Wood's Hierophant card. In many decks, even, the Hierophant often gets an unfair treatment, with a strong emphasis on "eeeeeeeeebil churchy Christians who want to keep tarot readers DOWN!" and not so much on the brotherhood of institution, sagacity of religious elders, etc. Ms. Wood seems to have a similar take on him.

That really is my only problem with her Majors, though. In the Judgment card, I first thought the woman was throwing the horns, not signing 'I love you.' =P

Emily

Kelly

I know this is a really old thread but I posted in it 9 years ago about not liking the Robin Wood but I've just bought it again and I have to say that the book really brings the deck to life, if I had known the book was written in the style it has been, I would never have got rid of the deck because it explains so much. I even agree with the way the Empress has been drawn and that was one of the cards I really didn't like last time.

Laura Borealis

I don't get the criticism of the Empress as elderly. She's not. No wrinkles, blonde hair rather than white, she doesn't look fragile at all, and - she's obviously pregnant! Not exactly an aging crone.

kalliope

I agree that the Empress doesn't look old, not when you look at her face, or realize she's pregnant. But there's something about the kerchief tied under her chin that way that reads "grandmotherly," and I think people are responding to that, maybe. Plus, her hair is all bound up and mostly covered instead of hanging loose and free and naturally, like many other Empresses in RWS style decks.

My main issue with the figure in this card is that she immediately reminds me of the actress Frances McDormand in Fargo every time, and that throws me off -- out of Tarotland and into Hollywood instead. :p

Laura Borealis

I can see that with Frances McDormand. :D

I read the kerchief as, covering her hair to keep it tidy while spinning. I bet it would suck to have strands of your own hair get twisted into the thread as you spin - and yanked out of your scalp.