The Stockholm Octavo

starlightexp

Just got my copy in and wrote up a review for Lulu:

A slender but very well thought out volume, the Octavo Handbook is both a treat for the eyes as well as the mind of the cartomancer. It does help to have read the original novel before picking this book up, but it’s not a requirement which is refreshing. The two compliment each other but one need not have both. The card system and spread is one of great length and depth. It incorporates elements of traditional cartomancy with sacred geometry and the need for the querent to look deeper into their lives to find their 8. The book is written as if it was indeed a tome put forth by one of the original novel’s fictional characters of Mrs. Sparrow and it wonderfully done. The layout of the book is worthy of praise as it is done to perfection with a nod to the old fortune telling guides of the 18th and 19th century. The font and style of very much of that time. In the color version of the book the cards images are a slight bit washed out but other then that it’s excellent. Now if we could just have the deck pictured in the book colored by Chuck Fisher I would be in heaven. One can get the deck, but Mr. Fisher’s coloring is just delightful compared to the ones out there.

Cerulean

I ordered the color version, , sound s fun

And this was a neat review, thanks....will report later.

Cerulean

A lovely experience

As books go, the pretty handbook goes cards in hand s with the novel and a sweet fictional romancing for wanting to use the Ammon deck.

I don't really need to compare history with fiction, it is a delightful romance and a fun cartomancy twist. If people do readings based on the meanings and open a thread for creatively figuring out their eight ,,, please link back to this thread ....

I like the Stockholm Octavio novel even better now ...

Fun idea to experiment...

tarotbear

I only bought this book for Christmas - and just got around to starting it today! I read the first half in one very long sitting! FANTASTIC! The bomb the author drops on you at the end of the first section is amazing! I want to do my own Octavo - !

I already own the deck, but I think that workbook is my next purchase.

Can't wait to get through the second section! :thumbsup:

*** ETA ***

I just ordered the handbook from Lulu - although I bought the b/w version - the color paperback version with the shipping was a little more than I could afford for myself for a birthday present...but I should be getting it at my new apartment close to my birthday!

*** ETA ***
I finished the second section - what a wonderful bit of writing! Moving to the climax - tomorrow, I hope!

tarotbear

I have decided that 'The Stockholm Octavo' is sort of like 'Six Degrees of Separation' - with cartomancy!

tarotbear

24 hours later - the Book Is Finished! FANTASTIC!

I cannot wait for the workbook to arrive - but I may start working on my own Octavo anyway.

gregory

I am SO GLAD you like it.

I hope you also bought the cards ?

tarotbear

Oh, yes! I bought them in November because I bought two copies of the book and the deck and they sent me three copies of the deck; gave a set to Meewah for Christmas.

I forgot the last little historic bit at the end about Jean Baptiste Bernadotte - It is said he went to a reader and she predicted that not only would he serve a king (Napoleon) but that he would be one - but that's another book. :D

gregory

I hope it isn't only the images... we shall see (I ordered one too...)