Study Group Post 1- Houses (general information)

214red

Kilted Kat said:

i think i would have to disagree, i had a taurus mother and she is lovely, but there is also the selfish part of venus, what if she had a child prettier then her?

Minderwiz

Kilted Kat said:

Well Venus is a real possibility - Venus is a feminine planet, and also a highly fertile planet.

Any other suggestions ?

firecatpickles

214red said:
Does this now change your position on the forth house as mother or does the moon still make you think of mother?

I have heard the fourth house called the House of the Home of the Parents and now I know why.

puppydung

IMHO, the 4th house includes home life, early experience, the roots/foundation of one's life, and later part of life.

Cancer, on the other hands, rules domestic activities, nurturing, emotional experience.

There is some similarities between Cancer & the 4th house, so if you don't agree on the concept of the natural house's ruler, there is still a valid point to consider that Cancer somehow relates to the activities of 4th house.

And the ruler of Cancer is the Moon, a feminine planet. Thus, I consider 4th House represent the mothers.

It's my two cents.

And here is my another inquiry.

I read on some place about the MC & IC (or 10th & 4th house) that the MC represents the way you express yourself to the outer world; while the IC represents the real/inner you, which only express through domestic activities. But, we already had the ASC which is considered to represent our physical appearance and the impression we make onto others.

So what's the difference about the way we express ourselves through ASC & MC?

214red

PD i agree that cancer relates to the 4th house in some way and family is represented in my 4th house (to its detriment!!)

I also love the MC and IC question....i dont have a clue i hope to be enlightened

Minderwiz

Kilted Kat said:
I have heard the fourth house called the House of the Home of the Parents and now I know why.

Something else that's worth some think time :)

Our modern western conception of 'family' is what sociologists call the 'nuclear family' - husband, wife and 2.4 kids. but historically, and still for much of the world, the family is the 'extended family' - with three or four generations living in the same property or immediate area. 'Home' has a much wider meaning.

It's even possible to extend the definition to include past generations - 'family' in the widest possible sense. So if we were narrowing down to a single person to represent the family, who would it be?

firecatpickles

Minderwiz said:
Our modern western conception of 'family' is what sociologists call the 'nuclear family' - husband, wife and 2.4 kids. but historically, and still for much of the world, the family is the 'extended family' - with three or four generations living in the same property or immediate area. 'Home' has a much wider meaning. It's even possible to extend the definition to include past generations - 'family' in the widest possible sense.
"House of Generations" has a nice ring to it...

Minderwiz said:
So if we were narrowing down to a single person to represent the family, who would it be?
My grandmother.

Minderwiz

Hi Kat,

Sociologists would point to a distinction between 'patriarchal' societies or familes and 'matriarchal' societies or families.

Your family seems to be matriarchal in nature. Would you say that's typical for the society you live in?

We're moving to a possible means of assigning the fourth house - the dominant form of family structure. There are issues here - do we go with society's general situation or do we go with the specific situation of the family we're considering - i.e. matriarchal family, the mother gets the Fourth; patriarchal family, father gets the fourth.

What do people think?

dimwem

Minderwiz said:
So if we were narrowing down to a single person to represent the family, who would it be?

My dad. My father is the major breadwinner, though my mother also works as a teacher. My father is the primary cook, and the kitchen is his on the weekends, my mother is only a guest when she makes daily supper. My father keeps the yard looking nice with plants and other additions, and he keeps the cars running in top shape.

Without my dad my family would be lost, unhappy and without direction. Not that we couldn't also not live without mother (triple negative?) but she's more of an emotional binding. We could live in a dumpster and she'd make sure we stayed together, but dad could make it a home worth bringing friends to.

To sum it up, Dad is the family's head, hands, and feet but mom is the family's heart.

Bernice

I remember reading something about this years ago, in a M. E. Hone book I think.

If memory serves me right, it was originally the Father for the 4th House, and 10th for the Mother. But the author explained that (the then) current teachings had switched them about....... cannot remember why. Must see if I have the book still, if so I'll post back.

Bee :)