Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

Tarot of Forgotten Dolls - an elegant gothic lolita tarot deck

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Deck Creation

Resident

RoseNocturnalia 
Tarot of Forgotten Dolls - an elegant gothic lolita tarot deck

Hello friends!

I always loved porcelain dolls and ball-jointed dolls, even though they creep people out. I think they're so unnaturally delicate and beautiful that they frighten people. I wanted the characters in my deck to resemble dolls, nearly human but soulless with "painted-on" expressions and empty eyes.

Elegant gothic lolita/EGL (or just gothic lolita) is a fashion that blends gothic motifs with Victorian-inspired clothing and doll-like hair + makeup. Don't worry, despite the slightly provocative name, there's nothing fishy about it! I thought that it would be a fitting aesthetic for sad dolls.

I wanted the deck to have a sort of melancholy and surreal atmosphere with muted colours. It'll incorporate childlike imagery such as toys, stuffed animals, sweets, etc. with a creepy twist. These once-loved dolls have been forgotten and abandoned after all

Lastly, it'll be based largely on RWS symbolism for the sake of readability, and because those symbols are what I used to learn tarot. I want to create a deck that many people can use and understand.

Sketches:
9 of Swords - http://imgur.com/7K36L8W Sorry the scan isn't very good!
10 of Cups - http://imgur.com/iIVHaeH Not entirely happy with this one, but I can always go back to it.

Any feedback or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Top   #1
Citizen

reall 

oww! must say title freaks me up!(yeah im actually not crazy about old dolls! lolz)
but this reminds me more on anime got lolita and is freaky! i like!)) lolz
Top   #2
Citizen

GlitterNova 

I really like the images so far. Be sure to keep us updated!
Top   #3
Citizen

Rhapsodin 

Yes, slightly gothic. To me, reminiscent of images I might see in London Night comics (Razor) or Sirius (Cry for Dawn). Forgotten Dolls is an interesting theme - Lolita suggesting adolescent "artists" dolls like the (extraordinarily beautiful) Zawieruszynski dolls, Annette Himstedt, and on.

Nice. Hope to see more.
Top   #4
Resident

velvetinedreams 

Hi RoseNocturnalia.
I just noticed you're in Ontario. Are you a member of the Southern Ontario Lolita group? I used to hang about there, but I really felt I didn't fit in at all, so I left. Hopefully no hard feelings.

You are extremely talented with your artwork. I hope you keep going!

<3 velvetinedreams
Top   #5
Resident

RoseNocturnalia 

Velvetinedreams, hello fellow Torontonian I actually don't dress in the fashion since my dream dresses are a little out of my price range, haha. So I never joined the group.

Also, thank you for the great feedback everyone! I'm currently working on the Star card and hopefully I'll have time to upload it tomorrow.
Top   #6
Resident

velvetinedreams 

Oh, you're in Toronto too? Coolness! Yeah, the only style I could afford to wear as part of that subculture cluster was the Mori-kei (forest style), which is much more fluid than the Lolita style, and can be got at any Value Village store, lol... I don't have any money for those expensive Loli dresses either. I don't really understand everyone's obsession with 'burando', the million-yen Japanese brand-name dresses and accessories! They don't really do anything for me... I much prefer the indie seamstresses' stuff I've seen online, they're much more original and interesting to me. I also find the Chinese knock-offs on Qutieland quite cute, I'm not a brand-name snob (I can't afford to be, haha). I hear you can get really cheap yet decent stuff from China by shopping through Taobao (basically the same stuff as Qutieland, but way cheaper), but I just can't figure out how to navigate the all-Chinese-text stuff - apparently you're supposed to hire a professional 'Chinese shopper' as a go-between, but I never really got into all that, I couldn't be bothered!

Have you considered incorporating different Lolita styles into your deck - like Sweet/Deco, Classic, Aristocrat, Ouji, Dolly, Ero, Punk - or do you want all of them to be Gothic style specifically? I noticed how you worked in some Guro-style - grotesque style, with the fake wounds and bandages (I'm putting in these references so other people besides you and I can understand what we're talking about, lol) in your Lolitas too.

I can't wait to see your Star card! ^_^
Top   #7
Citizen

esspeet 

Wow, those are lovely sketches! You're very talented.
Top   #8
Citizen

aurafields 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseNocturnalia View Post
Hello friends!

I always loved porcelain dolls and ball-jointed dolls, even though they creep people out. I think they're so unnaturally delicate and beautiful that they frighten people. I wanted the characters in my deck to resemble dolls, nearly human but soulless with "painted-on" expressions and empty eyes.

Elegant gothic lolita/EGL (or just gothic lolita) is a fashion that blends gothic motifs with Victorian-inspired clothing and doll-like hair + makeup. Don't worry, despite the slightly provocative name, there's nothing fishy about it! I thought that it would be a fitting aesthetic for sad dolls.

I wanted the deck to have a sort of melancholy and surreal atmosphere with muted colours. It'll incorporate childlike imagery such as toys, stuffed animals, sweets, etc. with a creepy twist. These once-loved dolls have been forgotten and abandoned after all

Lastly, it'll be based largely on RWS symbolism for the sake of readability, and because those symbols are what I used to learn tarot. I want to create a deck that many people can use and understand.

Sketches:
9 of Swords - http://imgur.com/7K36L8W Sorry the scan isn't very good!
10 of Cups - http://imgur.com/iIVHaeH Not entirely happy with this one, but I can always go back to it.

Any feedback or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, Very cool! Great concept. I never would have thought of this. I also love dolls, but I have returned and gotten rid now of all sorts of the older ones as they have such strong, not always welcome spirit attachment. Thanks for sharing.
Top   #9
Citizen

Libra289 

They are beautiful, I'd love this as a deck!
Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.