Revamping Playing Cards as Personal Oracles

room

AJ said:
Room, is your avatar one of your own pieces of art? I really like it, just never got around to saying it.

No, it's a piece of clip art that I cropped and then repainted the rug to make it stand out. I wish it was my own art!

room

Well, this lady started with a monoprint. She's vaguely like a punk fairy hiding in the woods. Fun to practice this method.

This was done completely in acrylic paint.

I am quite taken with the technique, and I think with varied pictures you could really turn out something interesting for each playing card.

Cerulean

Very pretty colors and I like where it ended...

...she hardly needs the rosy top, her herbal greenery and floral beauty is lovely. The scan appears to be white paper?

I'm pretending to do the limited color palette, as if I was doing a woodblock print, so I appreciate a kind of period charm in small colorations.

Originally the art I used for inspiration before I did my designs was on gold or parchment backs, but I decided my innovation was to use blue-backed paper. Got a funny thing for blue this summer...

Best wishes, hope to see more!

Cerulean

room

Cerulean said:
The scan appears to be white paper?

The scan is on white paper, but there are a few greyish JPG artifacts in the background of the photo, and I pasted it on blue cardstock, so some soft splodges of blue are in the background. Probably got washed out by the light of the scanner.

I've just printed out 8 more photos from a clip art CD I have, so I'm going to practice some more. I like doing this--need to free up my imagination more.

room

Superstar model Magenta Skye auditions for the Ace of Hearts.

(It nearly killed me to cover up this enchanting green silk suit, but I did it for the cards)

More of the Faber pen and watercolour pencils. I forgot to apply fixative to the print-out, so some coloured streakiness to this after smearing gesso on, but I like the effect.

I changed the jacket a bit--she's now wearing a single breasted jacket and a turtleneck, and I lost the long darts over her stomach as she thought taking a breath might be nice for a change. LB can I have a job?