5 of swords in Witches Tarot (Ellen Dugan)

oceana15

Hi, all. I've been using Ellen Dugan's Witches Tarot deck a lot lately, as it has truly resonated with me. But there's one card that continues to baffle me -- the 5 of swords! What does the dragonfly represent? What do the fairies fluttering around the swords stand for? I'm so confused. How I've been reading this card is as an indication of a feeling of "lost freedom," or feeling attacked from many different angles all at once and not knowing how to proceed, or feeling as though one's range of movement and possibilities in a certain situation is very limited.

Anyone out there with this deck - please look at the 5 of swords and tell me what you think!

WhiteWolfy

Well in the companion book it says the dragonfly is a symbol for the element of air and it also says:

Five fairies fly merrily around the swords uncaring of their sharp edges and any possible danger but what do you suppose is the most dangerous aspect of this card, the sharp edges of the swords or the possible trickery of the fae?

The meaning for the 5 of swords in this deck says the querent is feeling humiliated and embarrassed but this is only a partial defeat and they are still in control. Heed the message of the Dragonfly and see through the illusions of others and transform your life into something bright and wonderful.

oceana15

Thanks for your reply, WhiteWolfy. What you've said allows me to better align the Witches 5 of swords with the RWS 5 of swords, something I was having trouble doing.