The Black Light BOTA

Laurelle

Also, according to BOTA rules you actually aren't suppose to show anyone your colored cards.

I don't know if you are a member or just bought the cards to color, but they tell you that the energy you put on the cards is special and you shouldn't show anyone.

That's why I have several copies.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, just saying...

reall

You should look into copyright laws. There is a long thread here.

I'm not sure about coloring the bota deck but I know that original art of any kind is automatically copyrighted.

ok!:) that was my guess!^^ will be sure to check it out in case I ever decide to mess with this!^^XD lolz

@Laurelle thanks for clarification!:) that was exactly my concern as I plan offering readings on etsy from new year including one deck I colored!^^ :)) wasn't sure about copyright status for that purpose...x,x

DeToX

ok!:) that was my guess!^^ will be sure to check it out in case I ever decide to mess with this!^^XD lolz

@Laurelle thanks for clarification!:) that was exactly my concern as I plan offering readings on etsy from new year including one deck I colored!^^ :)) wasn't sure about copyright status for that purpose...x,x

Given that the original RWS is as of 2009 public domain, and that the BOTA Tarot was published in 1931, then the answer is that it is still copyrighted. There is no harm in anyone selling a genuine item coloured in, as all you are doing is selling a 'defaced' used item. It is not illegal. It is illegal to photocopy/scan it and print your own, whether coloured in or not.

DeToX

Also, according to BOTA rules you actually aren't suppose to show anyone your colored cards.

I don't know if you are a member or just bought the cards to color, but they tell you that the energy you put on the cards is special and you shouldn't show anyone.

That's why I have several copies.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, just saying...

I don't follow you. Do you have several copies so that you have an uncoloured version to show people or use with clients, and keep your coloured versions private?

Laurelle

I don't follow you. Do you have several copies so that you have an uncoloured version to show people or use with clients, and keep your coloured versions private?

If you join BOTA the lesson explicitly they tell you that you are not to show anyone your colored copies. Those are the copies that you meditate with and these cards contain your energy. So you don't want your energy mixing with anyone else's.

So I have more than one copy of decks that I've colored. Like you I like to color many versions of bota and rws. Many books have black and white copies of the cards and I find that it is easy to start coloring them all in!

But I do have a deck that I use explicitly to meditate with the bota deck under their guidelines. And this particular deck I use for my own purposes and no one sees it.

Are you a member of bota? If not you should look into it. There's a nice tarot section, which gradually expands. Paul Foster Case is the main author. The first several lessons can also be found in his published tarot books as well.