Names of angels and their meanings

jmd

and are stars not but the light of angels?

In terms of Dulcimer's question about whether this could be a 'fake' ritual, I am confident it is not fake, but rather forms part of a large body of rituals that had a very short life.

Many rituals emerged and were then either incorporated or in other ways intered within what came to be known as the Ancient and Accepted Rite or, in some cases, the Primitive MM Rite. Others took even more curious turns and became the various quasi-masonic organisations that emerged in especially continental Europe, and some were later re-established within Freemasonry under the 'York' rite in the USA.

Again, a fascinating side-line with regards to the usage of angelic names, and the role these play in the esoteric occidental tradition.

isthmus nekoi

Rosanne said:
I seemed to have wandered away from the original intent of the thread, I am sorry- so to bring it back maybe these are not angel names but star names that look like angel names? ~Rosanne

Oh no worries, Rosanne, I'm enjoying reading this diversion and I'm sure other members are too.

Bradford> Thanks for bringing up the greater context of history and your suggestion. There is such a glut of publications out there about Jewish mysticism now, I think finding a starting point that's more "meta" as it were is becoming more difficult.

Ventrue

On a side note, and its not agreed on by all Kabbalists, but there are two kinds of angels. Named and un-named. The named ones belong to planets/stars and are eternal. The un-named ones are temporary "daily" angels and are created as such, daily. Of course this is just one understanding and it isn't universal.

Ven

Adithien

Thought I'd throw in my version of clarification on the confusion of Uriel... This is a dual aspected angel; depending upon his mission, his name will change slightly, to distinguish the two. Auriel is the Light of God, and Uriel is the Flame of God.

Dave's Angel

Hi everyone

Bit of a latecomer to this thread but you may find the following link useful:

http://www.hermeticgoldendawn.org/Documents/Essays/shemha.html

Someone early on mentioned the Shemhamphorasch: take a certain 3 verses from Exodus, write them in boustrophedon form and the result is 72 lots of 3-letter words, each which for the names of angels. In connection with this someone else mentioned the book "The 72 names of God". I have this book and personally was underwhelmed as it is very "trendified" with little hard information. The link above names the angels and gives correspondences for them, such as what they do, astrological references, and most interestingly which of the Tarot pips they link with.

I've also just this sec found broadly similar information (better laid out than the previous, lacking the Tarot attributions but with other stuff) here:

http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/gd/The_Golden_Dawn_Schem_ha-Mephoresh.pdf (you'll need Acrobat)

While I'm on... someone mentioned Notarikon. Notarikon's when the initials of a phrase are put together to make one word. Like "Iesous CHristos THeos Uios Soter" (Jesus Christ, Son of God, Saviour) being collapsed into "Ichthus" ("fish").

Hope this is useful for someone.

Daemon

Angel names and fallen ones

OK this may be slightly off topic but...
Raphael is the angel of air, healing,and the east.
Michael is the angel of fire, defending, and the north.
Gabriel is the angel of water, wisdom, and the south.
Uriel is the angel of earth, death, and the west.

The word "Nephilim" in hebrew means "fallen" and refers to the angels who submitted to lust and had children with mortal woman. Their children were the first devils.

Dulcimer

Daemon said:
Minorthchael is the angel of fire, defending, and the north.
Ok, I'll bite. Who the heck is Minorthchael? I always thought Michael was the (arch)angel of fire,etc.

Daemon

Minorchael

Aaah! I wrote Michael! Did some moderater change it? Sorry.

Dulcimer

Daemon said:
Aaah! I wrote Michael! Did some moderater change it? Sorry.
How disappointing! Thought we had uncovered a new Being :D

Daemon

Sorry no. But... if this interests you, there are supposed to be 375769 angels. (613x613)