The Difference Between the Originals

PirateQueen

Me too, I'd love a proper repro of a Pam A - especially with the skin tone done with lines instead of the awful measles look, roses and lilies or pebbled, not too laminated. And of course Pixie's original lettering instead of the typeset. I won't hold my breath though.

Emily

I also had a bit of a shock with the colouring of the 'Original'. I thought I had a misprinted deck until I searched it out online and found that the dotty cards were right but I think what got me the most was how dark some of the cards were, the black outlining on some of the cards completely obliterates the artwork.

I tried for a long time to convince myself that the Rider Waite was an old deck and it should look like that, then I saw the real vintage decks and they blew that theory straight out of the water. I also don't like the colouring of the standard RWS so never took the deck seriously until the Centennial and Los PCS came out, now I have a new found respect for this deck.

I'd still love to own a real vintage RWS but I can't see that happening anytime soon. :)

EDIT
In early 2016, Lo Scarabeo changed the artwork of the LoS PCS so I would not recommend the second version/edition.

Le Fanu

I love the Original. But it has to be a very particular Original. It has to be one of the earlier 1993 versions. Very dark blue box (deck only) or Temperance cover and with booklet included. The cardstock has the perfect weight to it.

I recently picked up a newer Chinese printing of the Original which completely obliterates any of the subtle colouring the earlier copies had. They are yellower and just yukkier all round.

But I have three of the older versions, which have very consistent colouring and cardstock and one of the newer printings (I didn't even bother with the Italian printings because I know what they're like).

Rhinemaiden

I love the Original. But it has to be a very particular Original. It has to be one of the earlier 1993 versions. Very dark blue box (deck only) or Temperance cover and with booklet included. The cardstock has the perfect weight to it.

I recently picked up a newer Chinese printing of the Original which completely obliterates any of the subtle colouring the earlier copies had. They are yellower and just yukkier all round.

But I have three of the older versions, which have very consistent colouring and cardstock and one of the newer printings (I didn't even bother with the Italian printings because I know what they're like).

Le Fanu... where were your older versions printed?

I have one copy of the 1993 Original... printed in Italy, plastic stock; measles faces. :(

Le Fanu

It won't be a 1993 edition then, Rhinemaiden. They put the date 1993 on them like they still put 1971 on the standard RWS even though it isn't 1971 anymore.

The Italian printings came in around 2000 I think. Mine are printed in Belgium.

Rhinemaiden

It won't be a 1993 edition then, Rhinemaiden. They put the date 1993 on them like they still put 1971 on the standard RWS even though it isn't 1971 anymore.

The Italian printings came in around 2000 I think. Mine are printed in Belgium.

Thank you, Le Fanu! (Found a Printed in Belgium set - grabbed it. :) )

I misspoke earlier... my Original set does NOT have a date on it. It's in the purple/gold box titled "The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack", with printed in Italy on the box edge and also on the title card. On the cards is the usual 1971 copyright info on the lower right edge.

Essence of Winter

I have two versions of the Original: the newer Chinese one (blue and gold patterned box) and a 1993 Belgian printing (dark blue box with Temperance on one of the sides). I love both but the Belgian print is certainly cleaner and clearer. There is something about the sepia-toned print with the newer one that I really like, however.

I haven't bothered acquiring an Italian version as I really don't like how the cards are in the Italian decks.

Rhinemaiden

My printed in Belgium Original arrived today. Noticible difference in card stock (more waxy) and color values.... greens seem greener, differences in brown/beige as well. A marked improvement over my Original printed in Italy. :thumbsup: