Five of Cups as breakup?

angelf1sh

I did a reading for a friend who wanted to see where her relationshipship with someone is going. The Five of cups showed up in the near future position as part of a Celtics cross spread.

Does the 5ofC usually denote an impending separation? What have been your experiences?

emilygrace

It's certainly not a *good* card to get in a relationship outcome position, because oftentimes it represents disappointments that have already happened, or that are present in the relationship now. Usually when people read on relationships, it's understood that the relationship is having some issues (hence why they need to consult the cards for answers). The five of cups in the case of your friend could likely signify the relationship ending, or going through a rough patch, due to the culmination of problems that have been building up for a while. But the good news is that there are two cups still standing, so whatever happens will always have a silver lining.

EDIT: I noticed this card was in the "near future" and not the "outcome." So this makes it a little less of a blow. It could still mean a break up, but depending on what the surrounding cards are, especially the outcome card, it could just mean arguments or other issues.

Ace

I often see 5 of cups as a major argument card. It can lead to break ups, or maybe clear the air and make people actually discuss what the problems are. As the near future card, I think I would explore what the sitter's angry about, what her resentments are that are leading to a big fight with her significant other.

I usually see it as AFTER a big fight, in the house (I use the Horoscope spread to read with) of relationships or romance (9th and 6th house respectively.)

Have you discussed it with your friend further? I would be interested to know.
Barb

pandap

I did a reading for a friend who wanted to see where her relationshipship with someone is going. The Five of cups showed up in the near future position as part of a Celtics cross spread.

Does the 5ofC usually denote an impending separation? What have been your experiences?

Not necessarily an impending separation. As others have written, it depends on the rest of the spread.

One possibility in this position could be that one of the partners of the relationship thinks that something isn't working, and they are trying to work out what to do. They have the choice of either trying to salvage the damaged cups, (or try to actively salvage what's left of the relationship) or if they feel it can't be fixed, leave them behind and move on. The two upright cups can also represent another aspect which may have an effect on what they do - if there are children involved for example, should they try and salvage the relationship for the sake of the children?

On a less dramatic level, this card could simply be referring to dissatisfaction or regret at someone's actions, or generally feeling pessimistic perhaps yearning for something more satisfying.

PAMUYA

There is sorrow, depending on your deck not all Cups have spilt its contents. There is also a bridge in the background, a connection to resolve this sorrow or a new opportunity. This is not necessarily a break up.

TheProphet

I wouldn't jump to "separation" or "breaking up". The 5 of Cups to me is emotional sorrow, regret, disappointment or pessimism.

Saskia

The main message of 5 Cups in my opinion is: not everything will go according to the plan and it will cause temporary disappointment. One (or both) might lose something, or not gain everything they wanted - either in physical, emotional or mental sense - and that sense of loss will cause some sadness. This is a roadbump card, not a full stop, necessarily.

There are heaps of disappointments in life ranging from not getting the best bargain you thought you'd get, to not getting a job to losing a job to losing a lover. I read 5 Cups to be from the lighter end of the scale - not a major loss or shake-up, but something unpleasant enough to cause sadness for a while.

angelf1sh

Have you discussed it with your friend further? I would be interested to know.
Barb

They haven't had any fights actually, but there is tension (5 of Wands has shown up in previous readings for her). My friend confirmed that they had an unexpected talk where he opened up about how he deeply he felt about her (positive feelings). She was surprised and happy to open up about how she felt too, but then he went cold turkey. I use the RWS deck, and see how the imagery depicts literally how she is feeling :(

I've done other readings regarding the same relationship too. Death has shown up in the past in the "Above" position when they first started the relationship...then moved to "Near Future" but Outcome was The Sun if I remember correctly. Then now, 5 of Cups has been following her because she confirmed how she is afraid this will all just END.

Probably connect with her again this week to see how things play out.

angelf1sh

Loving all the input here so far! Everyone's inputs have been very helpful in helping see past my initial reaction that things might be over. I've been following their relationship for awhile and pretty much echo what everyone have said so far. Disappointment and yearning for something more satisfying as pandap has said.

I have also done a reading on his feelings here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=4581009#post4581009

In your experiences, do you find that the 5ofC describes more about something the querent is feeling internally even when there is nothing "wrong" in reality, or a response to something happening in the future that would leave her feeling that way?

Saskia

do you find that the 5ofC describes more about something the querent is feeling internally even when there is nothing "wrong" in reality, or a response to something happening in the future that would leave her feeling that way?

It can be either one. 5 Cups has a lot to do with expectations and how they are not met: either a person assumes that a good thing (whatever it is) will continue but it won't, or not in the same form. Or, a person does not achieve/obtain what they thought they would. It can range from not hearing back from someone to a more dramatic disappointment.

Your friend might be disappointed now because she thought she had all the cups (emotions) openly flowing (the bf opening up) and now he's withdrawing, i.e. cups are taken away. It's not the end most likely, just a glitch but it can feel dramatic.