Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Lounge ~ Part IV

2_Journey

BelovedK said:
I think my post got lost and skipped :eek: I am just needing ideas as a springboard, maybe someone can help. Today I am going to write a short story/essay about this woman. I just feel like I could be doing more.

I'm glad you posted again, because I hadn't seen your earlier post. Don't know why....

Anyhow, I'm a big believer in not forcing anything. If you feel you've reached a wall with your study on that card for now, then let it go for now and circle back to it later. That said, if there's anything that's really nagging you about the card, like your short story idea, and it just wants to come out, go for it.

I know from past IDSing that forcing something (at least for me, ymmv) does not necessarilly lead good places. :)

LotusSong

BelovedK said:
So, I am studying the Empress in the Bohemian Gothic deck. I guess I'd love some suggestions on how to go deeper. I've written about the card in my journal, and read from the BG companion book. I guess I could write a story based on the card, hmm. I just reached a point today where I felt like I had reached completion. (I know there is sooo much more to this card though) I guess I just am looking for a springboard of suggestions to get me going. This IDS is going to be good for me as I tend to be a bit ADD with the cards lol.

You know what I do with cards like that? I pretend I've done a spread with labeled positions and that it's one of the cards I've drawn. For example, look at the Empress and imagine she just came up in a spread under the position of "Advice". What sort of advice would she have to give you? What would she say if she came up as the Outcome or how someone feels?

I can write a lot about a single card when I just systematically go through positions like that.

yirabeth

LotusSong said:
You know what I do with cards like that? I pretend I've done a spread with labeled positions and that it's one of the cards I've drawn. For example, look at the Empress and imagine she just came up in a spread under the position of "Advice". What sort of advice would she have to give you? What would she say if she came up as the Outcome or how someone feels?

I can write a lot about a single card when I just systematically go through positions like that.

Oh I like this...thanks for mentioning this, I may try this myself!

~Yira

Promise

LotusSong said:

Great suggestion!

Something I like to do sometimes is pull the archetype from the card and bring it out into the "real world". You said you're having struggles with the Empress, so let's go with that for a second. What kind of grandmother would the BG Empress be? What would you expect if she were your mother? Older sister? Big brother? Best friend? What if the BG Empress were your significant other, your soul mate? What qualities do you see in the BG Empress that could be applied to each of these scenarios? Would she be the "cool", hip mom? Would she be a protective big brother, or the one that makes fun of you behind your back? Would she be a loyal friend, or a wishy-washy pain in the butt?

We all have these ideas about traditional roles for moms, grandmas, big brothers, younger sisters, etc., and it can be very enlightening to apply Tarot cards to these different scenarios. Plus, it makes the cards "real"; you're applying human emotions and characteristics to them, which in my experiences makes them more easy to relate to and helps form a bond.

teomat

sapienza said:
:laugh:

teomat I do know what you mean. I don't have any of the MRP decks as they just aren't my thing. I often feel like there must be something wrong with me as there seems to be nothing but praise for them. Glad to know it's not just me. I guess it's just about the fact that we are all so different, which is a good thing :)
Absolutely!

But I have to admit also that even though I feel a bit left out when it comes to discussions about these hugely popular decks, a small rebellious side of me feels content that I'm NOT part of the crowd. I hope this doesn't sound too nasty but my eyes glaze over whenever I see one of these huge gushing threads. I'm always drawn to the little ones, slipping away down the forum table talking about a deck that's not very popular or unmentioned (e.g the Fergus Hall or some obscure Lo Scarabeo deck etc).

This is also how I feel about my IDS deck. It's not as popular as the standard RWS or the new Commemmorative PCS one, and although it's not considered a 'proper' or clean reproduction of the RWS by purists, it's the one that I'm most drawn too.
Admittedly, using a deck that's not very popular can make things a bit lonely when you want to talk about it, but at the same time it can make the deck seem more personal to you. And when doing an IDS, I think that's a major plus.

Wendywu

This is a quote from the Decks forum that I thought could be applied very well to those working with a deck for an IDS. The original question related to the Decameron deck which has a sexual theme, hence the mention of sexual imagery in the quote, but obviously ymmv according to which deck you're using :)

rwcarter said:
If you really want to jump in with both feet, offer up some readings for feedback in the Reading Exchanges.

If you're not quite ready to do that and you've kept records of past readings you've done, replace those cards with the same cards from the Decameron and see how/if that changes your interpretations or see if you can see in the Decameron what you saw in the deck you originally used for the readings.

You can do daily 3-card readings for yourself with the deck.

You can take your favorite spread and make up situations to read on (work, conflicts, interpersonal relations, vacation, school, etc.) and practice taking the sexual imagery and relating it to non-sexual situations.

That should keep you busy for awhile.

Rodney

rwcarter

:| Aw, thanks Wendywu! :|

Rodney

2_Journey

I have to post this because it is just too funny. For Christmas, I received the Fairy Tale Tarot by Lisa Hunt. :laugh: So I guess if there was ever a time to study folktales, now would be that time!

I've looked through the deck, and it is very pretty. Some day I may want to spend a good deal of time with it. Today is not that day. Still committed to the MRP Fairytale Tarot for the foreseeable future. :angel:

thorhammer

That is so good to hear - both that you saw it as "sign" and that you're still committed to your deck! Most people would switch immediately :D

I did a MASSIVE reading for Wendy the other day and I think I burnt out :D but then, it was Christmas Eve and there's no time for Tarot on Christmas, at least not when you make a three-hour round trip for it, so I should forgive myself. And I'm feeling sorry for myself (not hungover!) today, so I'd say it'll be pretty quiet for poor Will today, too. Oh well. He deserves a holiday as well!

\m/ Kat

KafkasGhost

Speaking of burn out...

I went at this full force and I'm feeling a little fatigued. I did 10 readings in 2 days and am planning on continued, further detailed symbology study for each card (and a whole list of other things). I need to do something else for a day or so before jumping back in. The feedback from my readings, however, has been very encouraging for me so I'm really happy about that. *small jumpy dance*

*brain...mush*

I've also noticed my dreams being much more vivid as of late...