Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Lounge ~ Part IV

Cat*

Bat Chicken,
thanks for the comparison - this really IS an amazing and unexpected connection between the two decks!

thorhammer,
my Greenwood book says it was published in 1996.

ncefafn,
I had never heard of literal music videos before, but now I'm instantly hooked! LOL! You're right, this one is really BohoGothic!

No IDS news from me today...

zan_chan

I just noticed that today is exactly two months IDSing. That went so fast! And yet I still feel like I've just barely scratched the surface of Hermann's many layers. If the well that is Hermann even has a bottom, the light from my torch, let alone my physical self, has yet to even approach it.

Have I mentioned at all how much I love my Haindl? :D

Haindl Rune Oracle should be here any day now...

nicky

thorhammer said:
Okay. This question does actually have bearing on my IDS, so bear with me. Now, I'd like to find out about Pathworking in the Qabalistic sense. As in, working with the paths on the Tree of Life. I want to see how well the Blake cards fit in with the Golden Dawn/Thoth associations between the Atu and the Tree. But all the "Pathworking" I can find to read about is wishy-washy, new-agey feel-good drivel about wandering about on the astral plane and how easy it is. Does anyone know of a good book that works with the Paths on the Tree of Life in this sense? Coz this is where I get totally lost . . . :)

\m/ Kat

The Royal Road : A Manual of Kabalistic Meditations on the Tarot by Stephan A. Hoeller has something like that if I can recall correctly...

You might try Israel Regardie too... although I have not read his yet. I can bet that it is not newagey fluffy crap though :)

ncefafn

Revised IDS commitment

I've decided to add the Fey Tarot alongside the BG Tarot, rather than giving up one or the other. Here is my revised list of pledges:

• I will do a daily Mind-Body-Spirit reading using one or the other deck; I will analyze the same cards from the corresponding deck, and journal my thoughts and comparisons on each.

• I will follow along with the 78 weeks study of the majors for both decks.

• I will do readings with only these two decks.

• I will not buy any other decks for the duration of my study of the majors of both decks.

thorhammer

Okay, lots to do - all housekeeping will be up to date, including victoria and Wendy sharing a daily draw thread :) and ncefafn's update.

Cat* - thanks. The Blake was in 1995, so I wonder if Ed's selection of that particular Blake image was an inspiration for Chesca's choice of image?

nicky - as ever, I am indebted :) I'll check it out. I do, also, want to read the Fortune book, the Mystical Qabalah one (however it's spelled :rolleyes:) :D

Zan - you know, it's about that for me, too :) not that I've been as intensive as you, but it's getting there. I'm well and truly immersed in the Blake Tarot images as my standard now, with a few relapses to Thoth in my meditations, like this morning.

\m/ Kat

Llynn

Hello everyone, I am rejoining the IDS with The Shining Woman Tarot.

In a different thread asking for alternatives to the Greenwood Tarot one of the suggestions was the Shining Tribe Tarot. This deck was already in my collection but I must thank oak_woman for mentioning the Shining Woman Tarot (the precursor of the ST). My copy arrived two days ago and I really like it - the smaller size and the colours are less 'in your face'.

I shall study the Shining Woman Tarot for as long as I feel the need.
I will not buy any decks unless I would be a fool not to do so!
I will continue to use my Master Tarot for my Tarot Shadow Work but will compare the Shining Woman Majors and see what extra information this will bring to light.

I am very pleased to be back.

thorhammer

It's lovely to see you back, Llynn :) I think the Shining Woman will have lots to add in the realm of Shadow Work. And as it's a deck so close to my heart, I look forward to hearing of your experiences with it :)

\m/ Kat

Mi-Shell

The Greenwood send me on a "Crane versus Heron" expedition.
Yesterday my card of the day was Reflection featuring a Heron; today it was 3 of Cups = Cranes and joy.
Some of my findings are in the Greenwood study forum, others are very personal....

thorhammer

I think you're very brave, posting to the forum when things get so personal, Mi-Shell.

I've come to the conclusion that my thoughts on my cards are so tied up in my own worldview that I'd really rather not press that on anyone else through the format of the study group, so I'm not posting my journalling any more, though I'm still doing it (slowly :D). I just can't find any sort of line between what's for public consumption and what's personal - and the few things I'd be happy posting are totally out of context without all the rest, and make no sense or just sound shallow. So that whole venture was shortlived :D but I learnt something at least.

\m/ Kat

Bat Chicken

thorhammer said:
The Blake was in 1995, so I wonder if Ed's selection of that particular Blake image was an inspiration for Chesca's choice of image?
There are a few things I have learned that I will be posting in the individual threads for each deck over the coming days, but, Chesca herself gives some insight. Her description of the Blasted Oak is "A green figure is liberated from their bonds by the force of lightening..." The Blasted Oak is in relation to the "Fives" - Power, Ecstasy, Frustration, and Endurance - all features of the experience of dualism.

I read the Book of Urizen and have read some other's thoughts on it. Urizen is like the Gnostic demi-urge and the Fall or separation from Eternity comes before his act of creation of this world. His desire was to create a Law in opposition to the Eternals - dualism. The chains of materialism and reason follow - much as they do in the Tarot itself in the traditional "Devil" card.

The image has been described as both the Fall and Urizen passing through the new element of air seen as the clouds he is grasping. The Blake suit of 'Science' primarily draws its images from the book of Urizen.

The images are waaaay too similar to discount some influence - after all Blake was the antithesis to Newtonian science and the structure of religion as man's 'prison'. Blake's revival in the 60's was largely due to his visionary thinking. The Greenwood is in itself representative of man's direct connection with the divine. I don't know if Ed was an influence on Chesca or not, but, I would be surprised if Chesca had not explored Blake.