Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Lounge ~ Part IV

emmsma

Been thinking alot about my confusion with my cards lately. Had a little help talking it out, but ultimately I think I've gone in the wrong direction here.

The IDS is supposed to help me get closer to my deck of choice; help me to know my cards more intimately and more deeply. I'm not able to do that if I'm looking at 7 different Magicians, 7 High Priestesses.

I think the idea of comparing the different TdM's is great. I'd love to do it at some point, but until I can read with ONE TdM, looking at a bunch of them is just muddying the waters.

And I've allowed my reading(books and online sources) to confuse me as well. I am forgetting the thing I love best about reading intuitively - I decide what the cards mean. Its fine to look at whats been said of and thoguht about the cards, but I need to get back to and remember that I am searching for MY meanings.

Trying to get back on track here.

Please change the first page to reflect I will be IDSing with the AGM Tarot de Marseille. (Off to change my sig.)

zan_chan

emmsma said:
Its fine to look at whats been said of and thought about the cards, but I need to get back to and remember that I am searching for MY meanings.

Trying to get back on track here.

Congratulations on making a firm commitment, emmsma! I think that focusing on just one deck, really getting close to it, and (hopefully) developing a special bond with it will really help you in your quest for finding meaning in all TdMs. (TsdM?)

And we're all here to help you along as soon as you start getting frustrated :)

thorhammer

Good for you! I'm in total agreement - the comparison of the different flavours is a worthwhile occupation but I can see it would really confuse the bonding that one hopes for with the IDS :)

I'll change the first post now.

\m/ Kat

Wendywu

Great stuff emmsma - this feels like such a right decision. After all - you didn't get 7 RWS decks and start learning them all at the same time and comparing them to each other .....

And again - you're right - it's your meanings, your intuition that reads your cards :) I'm sure you'll be happier and less "cluttered" now :)

Promise

I really think I've been ramming myself into a brick wall with this whole IDS thing. Every single time I've attempted it, I've jinxed myself; I start off strong and then before I know it, I realize that I've been choosing decks for all the wrong reasons. It's not about what deck is prettiest or what deck visually attracts you, it's about what deck you read the best with, what deck you connect with best, and what deck stretches you the most. With that realization, I'm ready to recommit myself. It's fine to have a deck that you want to get to know someday, or a deck you feel like you could use better if you just had more time with it, but that doesn't always work. My goals for the IDS are probably different than most; I want to get to know my deck intimately so that I can become a better intuitive reader. By committing to one deck and one deck alone for a while, I feel like I'll be able to zone in on the details and really get comfortable with it. With these realizations, I'm ready to recommit myself to this.

Today is Friday, December 18th, 2009. Until February 1st, I will read exclusively with the Archeon Tarot. The Graven Images Oracle is allowed, but I will read with nothing else. I will make an honest effort to journal by hand as often as possible, and will take steps to apply Tarot-related breakthroughs to "the real world". I am also committing to doing readings here on AT whenever possible, to stretch my Tarot boundaries farther and to give back to those who have been so generous to me.

After February 1st, I will evaluate and see where I'm at, and will extend my IDS if necessary. I fully expect that this will be the case, but if I start off with small goals, it'll be easier to reach them and gain that forward momentum I need to keep myself motivated.

So Kat, will you please change me over to the Archeon? Thanks!

Wendywu

The Ironwing - my IDS deck - and I got started in an odd way. I love this deck passionately - it is the deepest, coldest, hottest, most incredible deck I have ever come across. It shouts, whispers, laughs and yells at me. And I adore it.

BUT - when I first got it I looked at it and, although I admired it, I thought I'd never be able to read with it. This is odd because it turns out to be the easiest deck in the world to read with. But the cards confused me and I had no plans whatsoever to do an IDS with the deck.

Ironwing had other plans. Ironwing herself is the Shaman of Bells, and she is the spirit of the deck, and she says what goes. And she wanted me doing an IDS with her deck..... and things happened, and in the end I gave in and here I am and the way things stand there's every chance I might be reading/using just this deck for a looooong time to come - years, not months.

So don't worry if you take awhile to find the deck that is right for you to IDS with - it's better to take longer and have the right deck than struggle on with the wrong one :)

thorhammer

I'll fix your details up right now, Promise :) I'm so glad you've come to a more satisfactory expectation and intention for your IDS :)

\m/ Kat

teomat

Kat, could you change my deck to the Thoth please? I've been working with it for a week now. It's rough going, and my readings with it don't make much sense, but I really need a shake-up at the moment and work with something outside my comfort zone.

thanks!

thorhammer

Ah, the Thoth :heart: Stick with it. It rewards you over and over again - every time that you think you've hit a brick wall suddenly you break through it and there is a whole new revelation.

Enjoy :)

\m/ Kat

teomat

thorhammer said:
Ah, the Thoth :heart: Stick with it. It rewards you over and over again - every time that you think you've hit a brick wall suddenly you break through it and there is a whole new revelation.

Enjoy :)

\m/ Kat
Thanks Kat. Will try, but it's not making things easy... :D

I've never used the Thoth before so I feel very much like a newbie. And I have to admit, after working with the TdM and RWS for years, that's a good feeling...