the phantomwise tarot - deck in progress

alizarin

Hi all!

Queens are finished. They're up in the gallery here.

Not sure what to do with the Kings yet but they should be done sometime in the next few weeks, so at this rate the deck will be complete by the end of September, after a bit of re-detailing (and possibly a Happy Squirrel).

Thank you all again for the wonderful compliments, it's been a long strange trip painting this deck and it helps to have all the encouragement.

Chronata

aah! Be still my heart! Sooooo close you are to being completed!

Queens are absolutely lovely.
But then of course they are.
I knew they would be!
Such perfect personality in each one!

I don't know if I thanked you yet, for making one of my favorite tarots ever.

So thank you!

Alta

I love those queens! I think wands and pents are my favs, but they are all just wonderful.

truelighth

Again, I am blown away by your art. The Queens are just wonderful. I am very much looking forward to seeing this deck completed. This one and the Dairy are my favorite decks in progress. Wonderful work again!

alizarin

Thanks, all!

And you're welcome, Chronata!

Since I know people always ask and the thread is long to search for info: I don't have a publisher for the complete deck yet. I wanted to complete the deck to my own satisfaction before involving publishers. I will likely start investigating publishing routes once I am 100% satisfied with all the art, which should be around October.

And I will absolutely post any and all updates over here!

Kanon

Gosh, they're gorgeous! I was interested on its title (Phantomwise), then I clicked on this thread, and found those fascinating images! You definitely need to find a publisher, since it's a wonderful deck :heart:.

I'm looking forward for it.

LixiPixi

Oh, alizarin...

Gosh...I've been away from AT for what seems like a lifetime: moving (3 times), homeschooling two children, working from home - it seems I haven't even had time to take a bath, let alone visit my AT friends :(

The "itch" has finally taken over - I crave to visit and play with all my decks. I can almost hear them screaming for me to spend some time with them.

I come back to AT to see what I've been missing, of course check out the Tarot Trading forum, and then look over My Profile to see where I left off...

I've had your Phantomwise deck on my wishlist since you created your first card. I come back now and see how beautiful ALL of the majors have turned out and am saddened (yet thrilled) to see how many more amazing cards you have created since my absence! I'm absolutely ECSTATIC you have expanded your cards to the PIPs! I've looked through your gallery and am just amazed at how you are able to create a "life" for each card, no matter how many you draw. I love it!

Yours is still a deck I crave and I'm so happy to see you are expanding and growing your cards to their fullest! I continue to wait in anticipation for the full published copy! Your work is just wonderful :D

LP~

Pamela

From b/w to full color

Hello Alizarin,
I took a look at your cards and I can see you have put very much time and effort into your illustrations. This is very commendable! So good job! My suggestion would be to encourage you to re-work your illustrations with color. B/w illustrations are rarely ever used any longer and mainly only for technical illustrations and since color printing has become so inexpensive. Your style could certainly work very well with color! Once you make that switch you will be like Dorothy entering OZ - it will be absolutely fabulous for you!

I am sure as you are already discovering creating a tarot deck is an absolute adventure of a life time because the creator IS on a journey of higher consciousness and awareness just by taking on the task of interpreting the meaning of the cards --- the powerful and universal archetypal energy we all share. So be encouraged by the feedback you receive and know you are on the right path as you integrate what works for your vision.

Vesper

The Queens are looking great! I love the Q of Pentacles, with just a little meat on her bones.

don't you dare tart it up with color! Color decks are everywhere. Monochrome decks are rare, refined and elegant, and yours has been on my wishlist for ages.

Chronata

It really is the black and white (and all those beautiful gray tones) that sets this deck apart and makes it unique and special.

Like looking through Victorian photos...

There are millions of color decks, and quite a few black and white decks too...but hardly any that use the gray scale to such brilliant effect!