Do you still use non-TdM decks?

moonbear

The TdM was the only tarot deck I knew of when I first started learning. I used only the Majors. Then I joined this site and discovered the RWS. I use both systems now as I've still lots to learn and I find the RWS interesting. I've discovered I love the Minors of both, scenic and non-scenic and learning both together like this makes me look hard at numerology etc. I think learning with the TdM first has helped me actually look harder at the cards, at the layout, expressions and numbers.

So I'm happy with both :)

pacificwaters

I started with the RWS, and have now also started reading with the TdM. Accepted, initially I found reading with the TdM very very tough. But after reading up threads here on AT, I think I like TdM. Not that I am absolutely comfortable with the TdM, but yet the TdM gives you a flexibility that the scenic decks dont give you. I sometime find myself (of late) getting stuck with keywords for the RWS, something which still hasnt happened to me for the TdM.

No doubt, I still find RWS easy to read with and I read with it as frequently with the TdM, but starting out with the TdM has sort of given me an extra edge when I even read with the RWS. Numerology, elemental dignities, etc. which I try to incorporate in my RWS readings now instead of solely trying to concentrate on the imagery...!I dont know if people will agree with me on this though!! Just sharing what I feel :)

And yes, just like moonbear, I am happy with both :grin:

Richard

I started with RWS, but I am much more comfortable reading the TdM. The RWS is loaded with esoteric symbolism. For example, the Kings of Wands' throne is decorated with lions, and there is a lizard-like creature on the floor (which is intended to be a salamander). In Temperance, there is a path from the water leading toward the sun, which contains a strange crown-like shape. Such things were significant to Waite, so I feel that I must chase down the symbolism in order to fully understand the cards. However, my comfort level is unimportant, so I use both decks.

Thoughtful

Using 1JJ swiss Tarot

Hi princess paulina,
I am new to forum and have wanted to share my experience of finding the 'one deck' . I can so relate to what you are saying. I have many tarot decks also, some good and some l really can't work with.
I saw a lady working with the 1JJ swiss and thought how on earth can she read with those. I had been used to working with rws, the robin wood, druid craft etc. but there was something about these 1JJ cards that intrigued me, couldn't put my finger on it, so only way to find out was to order them and see for myself. I felt quite excited waiting for them to arrive which they did in no time at all. The ones I have are the 1970 agm. muller version. I was bowled over by the colours not to bright certainly not washed out. I like to use colour meanings in my readings. When l first handled the cards a wave of knowing washed over me like l had used these cards before, and the more l looked at them the more l had a feeling of being with old friends. This really surprised me because l never had anything like this with my other cards. Strange I know but l felt l had come of age and that these cards where my next step, that l should wean myself away from all the others in my collection. Meditating with them makes me feel like l am being taught by a wise old fatherly energy. This will be my 'One' deck, l love them, l like using them. They have also been very accurate
Like you princess paulina l am totally besotted with my new tarot deck and l know they will teach me so much. As to my other tarot decks l shall probably keep them and maybe give a few away to friends who are beginning to learn tarot.
In all this has been quite a profound journey for me, l would liken it to coming out of junior school into senior with a lot more to learn from them before l reach college status and beyond!!
So my 1JJ swiss, we will fly onwards and upwards.

Alta

Thanks for sharing that Thoughtful. If you accept that sort of thing, you might even try a past life spread with that deck at some point. The first time I could relate to TdM was with the Flournoy Noblet deck. I know that lots of folks adore the reproduction decks but my picky eye finds them messy and off-putting. Flouroy's superb mastery of his craft actually opened up this type for me though not to the extent that you describe.

starlightexp

So not to hijack the thread but those that first started with scenic pips did you transfer over? At first did you just use your standard meanings and slowly develop your own as you went? I am a nut for collecting these decks but still use a RWS and when I do pull out the TdM I just use my RWS meanings that I already know

Wendywu

I started with RWS but made a definite decision to use a TdM as well. I knew some basic numerology and elemental stuff (fire, earth etc.) and read up in the old threads here for the majors. And I try hard to discount the RWS stuff I started with but sometimes I think there is some similarity in meaning.

I think I'm lucky because before the TdM I spent two years working almost solely with Ironwing and although there is some RWS in there it's buried pretty deep.

Now I very seldom use RWS decks. Only if I absolutely have to for a reading Circle - the Dark Decks and ISG for example. I use TdM's for as many Circles as possible :)

Richard

So not to hijack the thread but those that first started with scenic pips did you transfer over? At first did you just use your standard meanings and slowly develop your own as you went? I am a nut for collecting these decks but still use a RWS and when I do pull out the TdM I just use my RWS meanings that I already know
I have never used the RWS meanings with the TdM. I didn't actually read with the TdM until I found a gimmick with which I was comfortable, which turned out to be the correlation of the pips with the first ten trumps.

Thoughtful

Past life reading

Thanks Alta for that piece of information. I did wonder if l had worked with them in another lifetime they do seem so familiar to me. l was hesitant to make that statement in my earlier post in case l was thought of as off the wall!
Is there a link or any information somewhere were I can find out the layout for a past life reading?

garmonbozia

I have never used the RWS meanings with the TdM. I didn't actually read with the TdM until I found a gimmick with which I was comfortable, which turned out to be the correlation of the pips with the first ten trumps.

Is this method detailed in any books in print?