Flornoy's Elements

Bernice

Bumping this thread because the discusions cover some really interesting information about the Elements, Original -v- Modern. It also includes how the 'suits' were understood in earlier times, see earlier posts for this.

I'm really pleased to have found it.

Bee :)

SolSionnach

Yeah, I printed up a bunch of stuff from this thread back in the day... there's really good info here!

Wonder where Ayumi went to (and Mel, for that matter!)

Bernice

For those that don't have Flornoys book, or decks, both Mel and Ayumi (and others) explain about the early/historical elements-cum-temprements. They all agree about the elemental suit associations. And Ayumis' post (15) really is a 'nutshell' explanation;

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=986124&postcount=15

I printed the b/w pic of the elemental 'people' and keep a copy of it in all my tarot note-books - constant reminders!

sapienza

I'm so pleased to have found this thread. I've been trying to get my head around elemental correspondences if working with traditional decks. I've been exploring Swords as fire/Wands as air and I'm really interested in the temperaments and how this links in with classical elements. Lots of good stuff here in this thread.

SweetIsTheTruth

For those that don't have Flornoys book, or decks, both Mel and Ayumi (and others) explain about the early/historical elements-cum-temprements. They all agree about the elemental suit associations. And Ayumis' post (15) really is a 'nutshell' explanation;

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=986124&postcount=15

I printed the b/w pic of the elemental 'people' and keep a copy of it in all my tarot note-books - constant reminders!

May I second that notion with a link to the pdf for Mel's system, which is a most thorough system and includes explanations as to why cups=air and coins=water, from a historical standpoint? Click here for an indexed guide which explains it all.

sapienza

Thanks so much for that link, what I have read so far is really interesting and helpful.