On to the Devil...

BodhiSeed

In the RWS Devil, we see the Lovers in a new light (or rather darkness :)). They now have tails and horns, representing the fact that they've been taken over by their animalistic desires. The Devil sits on a half-cube, symbolizing this is not based in reality; it is based on incomplete knowledge. On the man's and woman's tails are the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge and the flame from the Tree of Life. My question is, what does this mean (having the flame and fruit on the end of the tail)? Does it mean these things are behind them, where they are no longer aware of them? What exactly do the fruit and flame represent to you?

Thanks,
Bodhran

RoseTintMyWorld6

Well.. I'm Certainly no expert, but i if i had to guess, The fruit could sybolize Orginal Sin, Which is kind of strange reference to have in Tarot cards, but hey, that's cool! lol. I've noticed alot of what seem to be Biblical references in the Rider-Waite Deck. It's really facinating.

But this is just my guess :)

job

They could set themselves free. But they're consumed by Earthly pleasures, I guess.

Little Hare

job said:
They could set themselves free. But they're consumed by Earthly pleasures, I guess.

i like it, its short and sweet and it feels right

Sentient

My sense is that the fact that these essences (for lack of a better word) are attached to the woman's and the man's tails is the meaningful clue.

The fruit from the Tree of Knowledge is being debased, as is the fire from the Tree of Life. What better way to represent this symbolically than by attaching it to the obviously debased part of each of their bodies.

In the Lovers card the Trees themselves are depicted: vibrant, growing and questing spiritually higher. On the Devil card the tails point downward, and only a small corrupted part of each essence is present.

This would be consonant with the larger symbolic theme of the Devil card; namely, that we're seeing a only a debased version of existence, lacking the higher moral attributes.

tigerlily

To me, they symbolize the two sides of adiction/obsession/whatever the chain stands for: on the one hand, it consumes and destroys you (the Devil's torch setting the man-demon on fire), on the other hand, you can't let go of it, because the poisonous fruit tastes so sweet (the female demon). And, just like eating too much can make you sleepy, the grapes symbolize to me the inertia that hinders you to slip the chain over your head .

Elen Sian

I also see the devils torch as the Ace of Wands, he hides the courage and confidence of the Ace that would light the path ahead for this couple. They cannot see a way ahead and are kept chained to whatever addiction holds them in place.

Cari

To me the tails represent something positive. Although they are chained to their addictions/past/dark side there is still something that can be salvaged. Hope still exists for them if they would only believe in themselves.

HoneyBea

When I look at this Devil card I see that the angel that heralded love above them in the Lovers card has now fallen to become one of darkness and self absorption. The tails of Adam and Eve to me connect them to those trees on the Lovers card and illustrate how they too have fallen and are now chained to their base desires.

I personally think that the fruit and flames on their tails means no more than to represent that they have fallen from their previous innocent state in the garden of Eden.

Waite wrote in Part II: The Doctrine Behind the Veil

The figures are tailed, to signify the animal nature, but there is human intelligence in the faces, and he who is exalted above them is not to be their master for ever.