Which of the fun, colourful Marseille variants do you enjoy?

Scarlet Woodland

I have two, eminently sensible Marseille decks:

A 70's Grimaud Ancien TdM &
A Francois Chosson TdM

... but am tempted to start with one of the less authentic (but perhaps less austere), fun, recoloured ones to get comfortable with at first. I'm leaning towards those with coloured backgrounds as I always struggle with whitespace on cards. Which are your favourites?

I do still have a copy of the Old English Tarot, but can't decide if it's Marseille ENOUGH if you see what I mean.

I can read with most pip decks so that aspect's not an issue, so much as all that white making my mind go blank :D Perhaps a little practice with a sillier version can help me get my training wheels. What do you guys think? :)

mrpants

Hi Scarlet, that's one heck of a collection you have!

I'd recommend checking out the Universal Marseille from Lo Scarabeo for two reasons: The colors and card backs are fun, and if you buy the kit with the book by Lee Bursten, you are getting a doubly great package! The kit is out of print now, I think, but you should still be able to find a reasonably priced copy out there, on the interwebs...

The deck itself is a redrawing of Claude Burdel's TdM. The lines are pretty chunky, but the colors are fantastic & fun. The biggest drawback to me is the multilingual card titles, but if you can get past that, I'm confident that you will have a good time with this edition. Take a look:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/universal-marseille/

Michellehihi

The Maria de Celia, by Lynyrd-Jim Narciso. The colours are soft but lively!!! It is available on the game crafter.

Freddie

I still use my Fournier Marseille, for some reason I never grow tired of the bight warm colouring.

Freddie

JuniperPress

I've never really gotten into the marseille decks but I love the colours of the Maria de Celia so much I think I ooohed out loud when I first saw it.

Scarlet Woodland

Thanks guys :D

The Maria de Celia is gorgeous, not one I'd come across before either. The gamecrafter postage is a right ***** though. Might see if combined postage helps at all as have been meaning to get the Pearls of Wisdom for ages but putting it off for the same reason. Ouchy.

The Fournier and Universal are definitely on the table... had a look for the Universal version with the book, but so far can only find it for £60 :bugeyed: Will have to keep my eyes open for that.

I think all your decks are on my "will inevitably buy" list Yves :D As both a tarot reader and the daughter of an antiques dealer, how could I resist. I understand the Pierre Madenie is starting to run out? So think I'd better grab one of those next before they all go... but will definitely be adding either your Burdel or the rather lovely Francois Heri to my collection soon. There's something unique about the Heri that just appeals to me.

Oh, and trust me... my collection is nothing to our fellow AT'ers! I'm a collecting newbie by comparison haha :)

Yves Le Marseillais

Put aside for you

Thanks guys :D

The Maria de Celia is gorgeous, not one I'd come across before either. The gamecrafter postage is a right ***** though. Might see if combined postage helps at all as have been meaning to get the Pearls of Wisdom for ages but putting it off for the same reason. Ouchy.

The Fournier and Universal are definitely on the table... had a look for the Universal version with the book, but so far can only find it for £60 :bugeyed: Will have to keep my eyes open for that.

I think all your decks are on my "will inevitably buy" list Yves :D As both a tarot reader and the daughter of an antiques dealer, how could I resist. I understand the Pierre Madenie is starting to run out? So think I'd better grab one of those next before they all go... but will definitely be adding either your Burdel or the rather lovely Francois Heri to my collection soon. There's something unique about the Heri that just appeals to me.

Oh, and trust me... my collection is nothing to our fellow AT'ers! I'm a collecting newbie by comparison haha :)

Bonsoir Scarlett,

Yes Madenié is nearly over: A question of weeks no more. I keep one aside for you and Burdel and Heri just in case.

Thanks for your compliments: My next one is a restoration of Nicolas CONVER 1760.... Watch out. ;))
Yves

Scarlet Woodland

That's fantastic Yves thankyou :)

Am sure I'll have grabbed more than one before the end of the month. Combined shipping is a wonderful thing.

Earthjade

I did a lot of research before I bought my first Marseilles deck and I chose the Fournier ones. My reasons:

* They brightened the colour of the images with "respect" to the artwork.

* The names of the cards are in the original woodblock French, giving it a more authentic feel. With the Lo Scarabeo versions, they put the multi-language text on them, which brings me to:

* The image takes up almost all of the card - I bought one of the Lo Scarabeo decks that had multi-language descriptions and it put me off. I find I prefer the ones with minimalist text.

So yes, very happy with the Fournier deck. The only complaint I have is Le Pendu is slightly blurry compared to the rest. Not sure if that was just my deck or it affected an entire run.