Dark Grimoire Tarot - Ace of Wands

ceildric

"The book of individual potential is still closed: a beginning, concentration of forces."
-Dark Grimoire Tarot LWB

Like the other aces in this set, the Ace of Wands is depicted as a closed grimoire. In its case it is setting on a wooden table (perhaps an altar?) surrounded by lit candles (as well as some nearly burnt out and completely melted). From the center of the cover, a beam of fire or light is rising into the air before curling off into many directions at once. Wands are of course traditionally tied to the fire element, and in this particular deck they are associated with "Lights" as the LWB puts it.

As the LWB indicates, this card like the other aces represent a kind of potential and the beginning of a "chapter" in the "book" which this deck represents. The book has not been opened yet. It could indicate latent potential, fixation / focus, or perhaps even repression. I could also see how this card in certain contexts could indicate a change (a new chapter in one's life), although the LWB points to Knaves as being more indicative of a transformation (besides the usual trumps like Death which might indicate a major change or transition).

The energy I feel from this card (like one might expect from a card associated with fire and light) is expansive and creative. Fire and light expand to fill their spaces as much as possible. This grimoire is the only one of the four which seems to be actively reaching out into our world (one could argue the Ace of Swords might be shedding its own pages). The fire / light it emits seems to echo (in an admittedly vague way) the Tree of Life or perhaps the rising Kundalini.

While any of the interpretations I offered above could apply in the right circumstance, my intuition seems to point to fixation / focus... one might even call it lust... as the creative and sexual energy (linked to Wands by the LWB) builds into a pillar of fire/light that even the grimoire cannot contain.

Possibly significant is that of the four Aces, only the Ace of Wands and Ace of Swords feature books without clasps, while the Ace of Chalices and Ace of Pentacles are clasped shut.

Its important to remember this is still untapped POTENTIAL, but it is churning under the surface, fixated and willful. It is outward looking. Not scattered like the Ace of Swords or more buried and inward like the Aces of Chalices and Pentacles.