True Black Tarot: Humanity as artifacts of our beliefs

MissChiff

For being rather minimal the art really packs a punch! I can't wait to see more.

Arthurdubya

pSTXwi2.jpg

A fitting update for the holidays! The 3 of Cups, vessels of effervescent water joyfully collide with each other for some cheers! The wreath symbolizes a neverending circle that is friendship and the many golden berries grow forth as the countless good deeds we do for our loved ones. Below, golden chains form the underlying bonds of trust and shared burden in times of stress.

I've actually completed 3 total paintings so far, but I figure I should pace myself in their release. :D

I'm also planning on doing a Kickstarter very soon (in a week or two) just as a preliminary fundraiser for the final full-deck in September. With the completion of 10 cards, I can sell posters on Kickstarter to get funds towards the final project, so it doesn't have to raise such a huge amount on its own. Fingers crossed that this works!

Arthurdubya

BEdCFv2.jpg

Here's the proposed timeline for the deck and Kickstarter releases! Thoughts? What do you guys think of having preliminary fundraising Kickstarters, where I sell posters instead of the deck itself?

I figure this helps to alleviate a huge burden on the final Kickstarter, while still giving tangible results to backers.

Arthurdubya

qfPNwOU.jpg

The first 10 paintings will be printed in poster format.

The Kickstarter goes live TONIGHT! I will be posting the link a few short hours.

Calcifer

I absolutely love what I'm looking at, and the things you've got to say about your whole creation process. I don't mind graphic cards at all; life isn't sugar coated, and some things are every bit as horrible as you can imagine.
That said, my only feedback regarding the 9 of Swords is that I'd probably have saved the "dead and skewered" imagery for the 10..... It is too late now for Bunny to have a "Dark Night of the Soul". To me, the 9 more represents fears of the thing that actually have come to pass in the 10.
Tell me, in the Moon, regarding the Rings on the hands, is it woman's own hand in the moon ? Looks to me like she may be looking down on herself and is the very source of the Moon's image....
Michael

Arthurdubya

Kickstarter's here! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/61940810/true-black-tarot-art-posters-set-1?ref=category_newest

Calcifer:

I saw the 9 of Swords as the "darkest night". The 10 actually shows our skewered hero at dawn, the start of a new day. I've been interpreting that one as quite gruesome, but with a silver lining, however small. No need to save the morbidness of the 9 for the 10 though! Two cards can both be morbid. :D

And yes, the woman's hand in the Moon is the one behind her. I wanted it took look imposing and foreboding at first, but then realize that she is really the one in control. I drew a lot of "different perspectives, different powers" feel from that card. And thank you! I appreciate your kind words :thumbsup:

Calcifer

Now I really, really am looking forward to seeing the 10 !

Arthurdubya

Haha, thank you! I'm excited as well!

For now, the big question is: Do you know any other ways I can try and promote this Kickstarter? I'm currently doing Facebook and Instagram promotion, posting on Reddit and Imgur, here on Aeclectic, a couple of tarot groups on Facebook. Do you know of any bloggers or individuals who'd be interested in sharing this?

Tarot803

Some thoughts:

- The color scheme is divine! The shades of black/grey/white, the bold gold and the bright red. I've seen decks with a similar color scheme, but they are busier in terms of design. The minimal numbers of actual objects on the cards is nice.
- I love the luxurious feel. The artwork and darkness give me some Roman/opulent/height-of-power-yet-doomed-in-the-end kind of feelings. It's nice and unique.
- The hidden detail in the Moon is nice.
- I agree that no one deck can please everyone. I don't think that should even be a goal. It's about being true to the messages and ideas that fit the deck. I believe that many times creative projects turn into entities in themselves and have personalities that the artist and creator just wish to convey accurately. It's truly labor. With tarot decks, everybody wishes more decks were "multi-everything" including any/all races, ages, sizes, etc., but we don't buy decks just because they are representative of any and everybody. We buy decks based on the art, the meanings, the representation of the personality of the deck, the craftsmanship. I appreciate what you said about this. It's nice to see someone with a mature attitude.

Keep it up. This looks like it is going to be a wonderful deck and hopefully the cards that mean the most to me will also turn out as powerful and inspired as the ones you've shared here so far. :)

Calcifer

I am truly wishing you success on your initial kickstarter.
I wish I could help or even make a suggestion. All I know is that if this deck doesn't materialize; I'll be sorely disappointed... I can already see some of my tax return being squirrled away for next fall.
Michael