10 of cups reversed

Isobel Gaudie

Hi,

I did a spread to look at the brighter side of life, chin up and give myself a mood lift.

In the position no.6 for a desire I have, but won't make me happy I pulled the 10 of Cups reversed.
10 of cups upright are my happily ever after card. Everybody happy, sun shining, big emotional fulfillment.

Reversed... and as a desire.
Possibly the urge to have everybody else around me happy? This could fit, but does not match reality.
I can't connect with this card. Neither reversed nor upright as a conscious desire.
Sure, having a family would be great. Don't have one, no relationship and my folks are abroad.- Ok, I miss them. Suffer homesickness.

I'm scratching my head.

headincloud

Hi,

I did a spread to look at the brighter side of life, chin up and give myself a mood lift.

In the position no.6 for a desire I have, but won't make me happy I pulled the 10 of Cups reversed.
10 of cups upright are my happily ever after card. Everybody happy, sun shining, big emotional fulfillment.

Possibly the urge to have everybody else around me happy? This could fit, but does not match reality.
I can't connect with this card. Neither reversed nor upright as a conscious desire.
Sure, having a family would be great. Don't have one, no relationship and my folks are abroad.- Ok, I miss them. Suffer homesickness.

I'm scratching my head.

The dissatisfaction you've described around your family situation pretty accurately fits the 10C rx so wishing for an end to it.

Isobel Gaudie

The dissatisfaction you've described around your family situation pretty accurately fits the 10C rx so wishing for an end to it.

Yes, this would fit. But its not any realistic. Hence I do not consciously desire this. Knowing myself and the situation. Maybe I should sleep over it.

treestar

Hi,

I'm scratching my head.

I would read this more as losing your will, losing love. Hopes and dreams turning upside down...Maybe you don't see your happy ending and arn't sure where you're going next...Hopelessness? Forgetting what you've been fighting for in this position. I would see this as big changes coming either way. Where a blank spot is created in your life something will rush in to fill it so focus on your desires and what you WANT rather than what your don't at this time. Very negative cards or reversed positive cards in this spot tell me about negative focus and the need to shift thoughts.

Thirteen

Maybe you should avoid rx cards in this spread?

Keep in mind that 10's are expansion beyond the here and now (as it were). That's what those kids are there for in the 10/Cups. The love of the partners needs to expand and be passed on, and so the partners eagerly have kids so they can pass the love on, expand it beyond themselves.

Thus, 10/Cups is selfless expansion of love, not keeping it between the two of you.

So. What do you desire? Maybe you're not so self-less when it comes to love. Maybe you want that love between you and a partner to remain between you and your partner. Maybe you don't want it to go to that "10" level where your partner says, "We have so much love, we shouldn't be keeping it to ourselves. We should have kids" (or something like that) "and spread all those love of ours around..."

10/Cups rx...you desire a love relationship to remain 1-9?

But you know what, maybe the best answer here, to erase confusion, is for you to re-do this spread and not use reversals this time. Because if you're going to ask the cards for help on the "brighter side" then it's probably best to leave out cards that are about "blocking" messages that might be of use in achieving that. Not every spread is best served, or able to make its message clearer, by including reversals. I think what you desire will be more evident if you use only upright cards here. Just my two cents.

Isobel Gaudie

I would read this more as losing your will, losing love. Hopes and dreams turning upside down...Maybe you don't see your happy ending and arn't sure where you're going next...Hopelessness? Forgetting what you've been fighting for in this position. I would see this as big changes coming either way. Where a blank spot is created in your life something will rush in to fill it so focus on your desires and what you WANT rather than what your don't at this time. Very negative cards or reversed positive cards in this spot tell me about negative focus and the need to shift thoughts.

I think we are getting near there. But I have a hard time focusing or even figuring out what I want given the opportunities at hand. But I have to keep in mind the originally asked question. A desire I have, but it won't make me happy.
I did basically the same reading a month ago and had the king of swords in that position. If I combine this. Yes, it is give up. Toss emotions. Be unavailable to avoid heartache and abandoning.

Isobel Gaudie

Keep in mind that 10's are expansion beyond the here and now (as it were). That's what those kids are there for in the 10/Cups. The love of the partners needs to expand and be passed on, and so the partners eagerly have kids so they can pass the love on, expand it beyond themselves.

Thus, 10/Cups is selfless expansion of love, not keeping it between the two of you.

So. What do you desire? Maybe you're not so self-less when it comes to love. Maybe you want that love between you and a partner to remain between you and your partner. Maybe you don't want it to go to that "10" level where your partner says, "We have so much love, we shouldn't be keeping it to ourselves. We should have kids" (or something like that) "and spread all those love of ours around..."

10/Cups rx...you desire a love relationship to remain 1-9?

But you know what, maybe the best answer here, to erase confusion, is for you to re-do this spread and not use reversals this time. Because if you're going to ask the cards for help on the "brighter side" then it's probably best to leave out cards that are about "blocking" messages that might be of use in achieving that. Not every spread is best served, or able to make its message clearer, by including reversals. I think what you desire will be more evident if you use only upright cards here. Just my two cents.

Good 2 cents. In a reading for pure selfempowerment it would be a good advice to ignore reversals.
In the reading I did I wanted to have them. To be honest, 10 of cups as a desire that won't bring happiness but the reverse doesn't make much sense. Unless I want to cement the thought of being no good at family matters and a commitment phobe anyways. "A ring on my finger? No way, I'd prolly chop it off!" That's what I'm telling myself.
There we have the negative thinking treestar pointed out

Well, I can be dangerously selfless in relation-ships. Cutting myself back. That's how it was in the past. But this does not work longtime.
Yes, there is an amount of selfishness given. Another issue I'm dealing with pointing out to selfishness is that I am a femdomme. That's my way to live sexuality. Its socially not very acceptable and its a difficult path. I need a significant other for this. Regular heterosexual partners can't cope with this. I've held it back and suppressed it in former relationships. But this is detrimental for both sides.
But playing the field around my alley is difficult. Yes, there are hoards of suitors. I can't complain. I get run over. But I don't have much interest in just kink related hookups. I make it a commitment, if. My heart got terribly broken by this.

Thirteen

We all have to go after our own "happily ever after"

Well, I can be dangerously selfless in relation-ships. Cutting myself back. That's how it was in the past. But this does not work longtime.
Well, I take back my two cents! You were absolutely right to use reversals, as this explains the 10/Cups rx in that position VERY clearly! Cups are all about giving and loving to give--which is what subs like to do, not doms. And we all need to acknowledge, as our desire, what we selfishly want. If we don't, then, as you say, it keeps you from being you. And that doesn't do anyone any good. If you're not you, then you're cheating yourself, and cheating everyone else who needs you to be the best and truest you that you can be.

I think the card were brutally honest here. "Happily ever after" to you isn't that dream of marriage, kids and rainbows. Making yourself believe that, or give into it to make someone else happy would be a nightmare. Not "happily ever after."
Another issue I'm dealing with pointing out to selfishness is that I am a femdomme. That's my way to live sexuality. Its socially not very acceptable and its a difficult path. I need a significant other for this. Regular heterosexual partners can't cope with this....But I don't have much interest in just kink related hookups. I make it a commitment, if. My heart got terribly broken by this.
You're very brave to offer that information here. I commend you, and I completely understand why it's been so hard for you to find happiness, and why you might have a very cynical and downer view of life and love. I can tell you that I know of at least one such committed relationship--so it can happen. But as you seem to already know, you can't pretend to want the typical, equal partnership, kids and rainbows. You have to go after your own, particular "Happily ever after." We all do :)

Barleywine

I'm coming to this a bit late, probably knowing more than I need to for making a "blind" call, but anyway . . .

For me, the 10 of Cups isn't the "happiest of happies" (that's the 9 of Cups, which represents the "perfection" of the suit). The Ten has just a whiff of ennui about it, like it's stifling a yawn. Reversal would knock it off-center, maybe shaking things up a bit. If upright is uncritical emotional giving "for the good of all,", perhaps reversal means taking a little bit of that back (or at least withholding it). Call it a corrective flow when parity starts to get a bit out of whack. (But then I'm steeped in Aleister Crowley, who thought the more benign Tens have outlived their usefulness and overstayed their welcome.)

Here's another random thought: lately I've been thinking of reversal as "having a Hanged Man moment," where one sacrifices time and initiative while suspending action in whatever is represented by the nature of the card. I liken it to loss of traction and "wheel-spinning."

Thirteen

Interesting!

Here's another random thought: lately I've been thinking of reversal as "having a Hanged Man moment," where one sacrifices time and initiative while suspending action in whatever is represented by the nature of the card. I liken it to loss of traction and "wheel-spinning."
That's a really interesting take. You've got me interested (and have my attention). Why Hanged Man rather than the Wheel or the World...or the Fool for that matter if you were to place him at 22 rather than 0? :confused: