Asking "What's their feelings" vs. "Do they love me?"

Stu123

Wonderfully explained, Alissa! I'm going to add this one to my notes--and likely quote it often as bias is the bane of readers reading for themselves. This point can't be made often enough, I think. :)

Absolutely agree as well :)

headincloud

The way we question something affects the answer for sure and even when we pose a question that seems obvious to us it may not be the answer we expect or are looking for. Someone once wanted to know about a job interview and asked the question (on here actually) what will happen with regard the job? Hierophant - Something you will go on to teach. It wasn't a guess it was a strong impression of the answer I got. Not quite what she was expecting but she asked a question and got an answer. We need to be very careful of our questions and very specific.

Stu123

The way we question something affects the answer for sure and even when we pose a question that seems obvious to us it may not be the answer we expect or are looking for. Someone once wanted to know about a job interview and asked the question (on here actually) what will happen with regard the job? Hierophant - Something you will go on to teach. It wasn't a guess it was a strong impression of the answer I got. Not quite what she was expecting but she asked a question and got an answer. We need to be very careful of our questions and very specific.

Thanks for mentioning this anecdote too! It's really hard to avoid bias and expectations. Thank you again! :)

Alissa

Thank you so much, Thirteen, (big happy face grin!)

This is such a great insight Alissa! Thank you :)

Does that mean that focusing on the open-ended questions let's you to not only see the reality, but also the realities behind it. I'll keep that in mind - as I said, I'm definitely aware and afraid of the bias in my reading as mentioned.

It's really almost impossible to not have a bias when reading for one's self, or close family/friends. We're humans before readers, after all. :) I think the only way I can truly remove my bias when reading is when it's for strangers.

But that's a high wire act in itself, ;) no doubt about it.