Major Arcana and the Aces

3crows

Hi Tarot Folks, does anyone know which Major Arcana cards correlate to the suits / Aces? I was thinking that the suit of Swords corresponds to the Justice card Maybe the suit of cups corresponds to the Moon? And that's as far as I got! Thanks in advance!

nisaba

I'm not sure that any of them actually do. After all, if Justice corresponded to the Swords suit, perhaps it would be shown within the Swords suit. The Majors are majors specifically because they stand APART from the Minors and any of the suits. The mere presence of a sword in any of them doesn't mean they belong with the Swords suit, nor does earth in any of them indicate that they belong in Pentacles.

rachelcat

As much as it pains me to disagree with nisaba . . . :angel:

I'm big on traditional/Renaissance tarot associations, so I've put the cardinal virtues and suits together.

Strength/Fortitude and wands. Besides a common association with fire, some depictions of Fortitude (such as in the Mantegna "tarot") show a woman in armor breaking a column (which is like a baton or wand, kind of . . .)

Temperance and cups. Cups!

Justice and swords. As you mentioned, sword!

Prudence as World/Universe and pentacles/coins. This one takes the most explanation. There are very good reasons Prudence is associated with the World card. See Robert Place's The Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination. Some depictions of Prudence show her with a mirror (meaning that wisdom/prudence comes from "reflecting" on your own actions). A mirror that looks like a big coin. Or pentacle. Also, some World cards like the Visconti show cherubs holding up a circular illustration of a landscape or city (reminds me of a snow globe). Also round a coin-like.

I originally associated the cardinal virtues with the aces, but on further reflection and study, I've changed that to the 9s. (Probably too much to go into here, but I've decided that the 9s are the "personal," "individual" cards, so personal morality, i.e., cardinal virtues, go with them.)

I find endless (so far) fascination with the iconology of the virtues, so I'm just throwing this out there. Maybe you'll catch the bug, too!

elena_jaymz

Hi, maybe you meant that Majors are related to the zodiac signs and their corresponding elements, so in this sense they're linked to the Minors. For example, The Devil is linked to the Capricorn that's an Earth sign, so in this sense it could be related to the Pentacles (Earth suit indeed).

Inviato dal mio ALE-L21 utilizzando Tapatalk

nisaba

As much as it pains me to disagree with nisaba . . . :angel:

<laughter> You can disagree with my all you like! The beauty of a forum like this is that we all have different views and different experiences, and sometimes disagreeing with someone we like and respect gives us pause, and makes us examine our own beliefs, and work out exactly WHY we believe what we do without necessarily changing our minds.

There is room in the universe for both me to be right, and you to be right. And whichever view (or something else entirely) that rings true for the original poster, will be great for them. :)