Not sure where to begin with my own deck.

Edge

Hello everyone :) I am really wanting to begin creating my own tarot deck. I have many ideas already in place but am not really sure how to get started. Is there a kit for something like this or perhaps software. It's going to be a long process but one that I feel will be very rewarding. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

StarUpInTheSky

Maybe you should try some sketches or brainstorming about theme, colors, the feeling you want to portray, etc. It will help you get the creative juices flowing.

Bat Chicken

I just did a card for the ATF Community Deck and it inspired an entire theme for a deck.

I suggest you just pick a card that means something to you right now and see where it goes.... the rest should just come when it's ready! :)

Edge

Thank you both for your comments.... Yes this is going to be fun. Good idea Bat Chicken, I already have a couple fav cards in mind. :)

kuwaizair

I begin with a scribble list, looking, thinking 'reserching', looking and scribbling down more thoughts. I have 60 somthing more things to think of.

then think on how to do it, then do it. the process is difficult and a tiresome journey.

Langustl

Hi edge !

I simply began with the first card, that was the most important to me. Than I went on with cards, that fit to my current situation to get the atmosphere there in. Surely you have to think about the technic you want to use, drawing, painting, collage... Maybe it makes sense to you to occupy with symbolism of colours and numbers. And also naturaly intensively with te meanings of the cards. Be free with interpretation and find your own way. Let it be a process. That´s what I would advise. Good luck, enjoy it and have a lot of fun :thumbsup:

Aulruna

Hi Edge,

I, being a Queen of Swords and a Gemini, like a little analytics before actually getting started - for example, if it's a themed deck, I try to make sure that there are meaningful correspondences for all the Majors and a stringent concept for the Minors.

So far, I've created two decks (one can be seen at http://www.tarotpassages.com/Pages2/renaissancefair.htm) and both times the Magician has forced me to start with him ;-) Probably there's a special card calling out for every creator.

Good luck with your work!

Morwenna

Daimon link

I know that if you have a Waldenbooks or other book store that generally sells Tarot cards and/or Tarot books, it is likely they will have a "make-your-own" deck kit.

In terms of making it, I envision that a good way would be to start doodling on a separate piece of paper, and let your creative mind speak. You never know what your inner self is trying to let out.

Bad_Calvin

You can get some card blanks. There is also a "color your own tarot" card set. I think it is a black and white RW set. There are a couple books that are sort of a guide through the process, but nothing that I think would be super helpful. It is really just a matter of getting the artwork to represent what the card is to convey.

Otherwise, I think everyone above made good suggestions. You might want to just start off with cards that you know, and just progress through it.

Edge

Once again I want to thank everyone for the enthusiasm and support. I have narrowed down a "theme" so to speak and am currently considering which card to begin designing. I have it narrowed down to a couple different major cards. BTW this deck will more than likely be completely created using photo shop. Hope to begin work soon, will keep everyone updated on this. Thanks again. :thumbsup: