Reversal Cards

page of wands

Do you read the cards as upside down? What is your reasoning to do it this way or not?

I'm figuring out which way I would like to do. I am new to this.

Michellehihi

there are numerous threads about this subject, I invite you to visit this thread which is a list of many threads on using cards:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=77111

you will find there many treasures!

See particularly post 2 of that thread, there is a list of "reversals" themes.

gregory

You've said several times that you are new to tarot. I'd wait a while before even trying. You've a lot to work through with upright cards - time enough for reversals later.

That said - I don't use reversals at all. To each their own.

page of wands

You've said several times that you are new to tarot. I'd wait a while before even trying. You've a lot to work through with upright cards - time enough for reversals later.

That said - I don't use reversals at all. To each their own.

lol do i sound like a broken record? oh dear. >.< yeah. i'll just focus on upright for now.

gregory

lol do i sound like a broken record? oh dear. >.< yeah. i'll just focus on upright for now.
Not at all :) Just I happened to be in two of your other threads before I hit this one ! But I do think upright is enough to be going on with...

elena_jaymz

Hi page of wands, actually it depends on the context and on your intuition.
As others said, it takes time to get to learn how to read reversals, as well as when cards are upright, that's normal.
Anyway I'd start with upright meanings first šŸ˜‰

Inviato dal mio ALE-L21 utilizzando Tapatalk

SunChariot

Do you read the cards as upside down? What is your reasoning to do it this way or not?

I'm figuring out which way I would like to do. I am new to this.

I use reversals more often than not. It's actually rare that I don't use them. I never ever read my cards upside down though. Once all the cards are pulled, I write them all down (as well as which came up reversed) and then I upright all the reversed cards. So by the time I do the reading, all the cards are upright again.

I do read very intuitively, mainly through the card images. So I could not read the images if they were upside down.

Reversals, of course, are not necessary. The cards will read well without them. The current reading I am working on, I chose not to use them. But usually I do. I personally use reversals because I find it enriches my readings. I have 4 different reversals methods i use. I never ever use or have used the one that turns the upright meaning to its opposite. I never saw much use to that. As all cards already contain their opposites within them, imo.

But the method I normally use adds in more meanings to the cards that they don't have without it.

Babs

IndigoWaves

While I don't physically employ reversals, myself, I do try to allow both "negative" and "positive" views of each card to emerge within readings. Based upon context and any other cards involved, the overall picture tends to advise which energies are active/pertinent; intuition is definitely involved.

Grizabella

You can also design your own spreads and include positions where the card landing there will take on the reversed meaning. That's simpler sometimes, I think.

For instance, if you're making a decision about something you could just have positions titled "positive aspects" or "negatives aspects" of any situation you want to know about.

Having a specific question and named positions for your spreads goes a long way toward understanding what the cards are telling you. For instance, in a reading about whether you should do something or not, it would be good to make a spread like this:

Your question might be about a move you want to make but you have children and you're concerned how it will affect them. Your main question would be "How will this affect my children?" and then the spaces would be "positive affects" and "negative affects." That's a simplification, of course, but having a specific question, even if you have to write it down to remember exactly what you asked since you're new, is essential in my opinion. And then naming each position with a specific aspect of what it is you're concerned with will make your readings a lot more readable.