What I'd love to see...

nickij

Do you know what kind of Tarot deck I would soooooo love to see?

Instead of pictures, I'd love to see a Tarot deck which is photographs, maybe of famous models/actors etc. It would have to re-create EXACTLY the background of a real Tarot deck with all the symbols etc. The pictures would be taken in a really stylish, eye-catching way, making the most of the human form etc. If it was printed limited edition with famous folks as the subjects, it would sell really well and perhaps a percentage of the profits could go to charity?

HudsonGray

Now THAT sounds like a job for the contest section of www.worth1000.com They do exactly that sort of thing over there. Talk to the people that run the site and suggest it as a contest.

psychicbody

If you search through this site, there are already several decks, just like that. Some are collages and some are phtographs.

Little Baron

If I am right, I think that The Cosmic Tarot does have some actors and actresses in it - or at least, there are liknesses in the illustrations.

Your idea is interesting though and I am sure it would be profitable, since it would attract film buffs as well as tarot readers and enthusiasts. Have you thought about which movie stars you might use if you had done it?

LB

nickij

I haven't given any thought to who the 'stars' of the work would be, I can picture the cards very clearly in my mind though. You know the kind of photographs in coffee table books, where the pictures show muscles and curves and good strong faces and bone structures. Good use of shadow and costume etc. It would be a real collectable deck if all 78 were celebrities.

Maybe I should have researched and looked at a few of the other decks mentioned above before I posted my suggesion though!

I'm dreaming about this deck, I wonder if it can be made to happen? My next project!

Little Baron

It might be a nice personal study to help learn the tarot - especially with court cards - thinking about what kind of people the 'Queen of Swords' translates as, how a card like 'Death' could be depicted by a star such as Madonna (her consistant re-invention of image and ideals over the years) or 'The Devil' could be shown as someone like Robbie Williams (his over-indulgence in drugs and drink, coupled with his enjoyment of his sexuality). Once you start getting ideas, it might help your tarot studies flow to a different level.

LB

nickij

I'm going to take your suggestion and make a journal of all 78 cards and possible celebs - brilliant idea. It might help me understand the cards more, you're right. And I know someone who is friends with Guy Ritchie & Madonna, so you never know!

Little Baron

nickij said:
And I know someone who is friends with Guy Ritchie & Madonna, so you never know!

Well, with her interest in the Kabbalah, she may even be interested! I read in another post here (can't rememeber what it was about) that she used tarot cards in one of her shows.

Not sure what she would think of my suggesting she represent the Death card though, lol.

Let us know how your work goes with the journal. I might do a similar thing but using other imagery and personalities that are not just celebrity based. I am the furthest thing away from being a fan of Robbie Williams but I do think he would make a very good and cheeky devil.

LB

Seraphic

look at the 80's tarot deck it has grace jones..david bowie etc it's a cool deck.

SarahRose

I definitely agree on wanting to see more photographic decks. My major is Photography and I want to photography my own deck. :)