Runic "Tarot"- Caroline Smith

Bean Feasa

I recently saw the Elemental in Waterstones in the city here, and was tempted. I didn't buy it 'cos I thought I'd need to know astrology for it and I don't have a clue. But Mari, now you've got me thinking maybe I could manage without }) :)

crystal dawn

Cerulean said:
It might be 24 or 76 cards, so not really tarot, following Celtic - Norse seasonal times. The promos say 76 cards...although I also see on the website 24 rune designs...

30 percent off on Amazon.com.UK....

Not due out in the U.S. until February 2005. Samples below:

http://www.beachhavenbooks.co.nz/view_collection2.phtml?Name=Runes&CartID=14101169c0622b

The UK samples

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1859061230/aeclectictaro-21/
------------------------------------------------------------------
Similar images, maybe in the set

http://www.elementaltarot.com/Artofzodiac/runecard.htm

or maybe....

http://www.elementaltarot.com/Artofzodiac/celtic.htm

http://www.connections-publishing.com/product_info.asp?product_id=95

I wonder if anyone in the UK has this yet?

Regards

Cerulean

Hi Cerulean
I have actually seen the runic tarot on sale in the U.K. and the set i saw had already been opened, so i had a quick peek at them. There are 76 cards and they are divided into the major arcana which consist of 24 runes of the elder futhark note that this results in having 2 more cards than in the tarots major arcana and the minor arcana are based on the celtic festivals at different times of the year, 4 cards (i think) dedicated to each festival each one representing a season of the year also. There are only 52 minor cards of course instead of the tarots 56 and there are no court cards. So its pretty much a combined runic / celtic oracle loosley based upon the tarot, thats the impression i got anyway. It certainley looks like it could be an interesting oracle to work with and the art work is pretty good, very celtic type of art work which is always nice to see.

blessings

crystal dawn

Cerulean

Oh, yes! After some modifications...

This tickles my fancy. I saw the box from Amazon.com, it said Amazon.com France (?) and when I caught a glimpse of the pinkish marbled box, the scissors made fast work of shredded tape...Oh my, beautiful box cover...then dismay, as the hardcover TOP is what the cards are stored in, in an open paperboard box. The back of the book is glued to a wraparound hardcover. So you have to close the box backwards, with the book on top of the open well of cards. You have the hold the book closed as you place it just so as a closing lid.

I looked at the cards and my eyesight set upon card 10 of Beltane. I knew I would be using all the cards, even this one, and set this card aside.

My reaction is not recommended, but I ripped the book off the back cover. I attached a blank greeting card via decorative tape to the now-freed book. I also tore the silly cardboard insert box off and stored my cards in a zip-up cosmetic bag. The modified cardboard covers now will be a small layout board and also detachable book cover.

I like the semi-abstraction of Caroline Smith's work and the decorative style in all the cards...the semi-squatting 10 of Beltane is not offensive, simply reminds me of a kewpie doll with a large head giving birth to one while holding two other children. The book has the full illustration, so I put a small sticker of modesty and now am satisfied with all the cards...

Yes, I do look forward to using this deck and book set. I am glad to have received it now and got it at a discount from Amazon.com UK.

The colors are very nice and there's an airy, clean style--even a gracefullness that I like about these cards.
I like the idea of the Celtic seasons and addition of one or two different systems in a pretty deck. I'm hoping to use this for seasonal style readings...

Regards,

Cerulean

crystal dawn

Re: Oh, yes! After some modifications...

Cerulean said:
This tickles my fancy. I saw the box from Amazon.com, it said Amazon.com France (?) and when I caught a glimpse of the pinkish marbled box, the scissors made fast work of shredded tape...Oh my, beautiful box cover...then dismay, as the hardcover TOP is what the cards are stored in, in an open paperboard box. The back of the book is glued to a wraparound hardcover. So you have to close the box backwards, with the book on top of the open well of cards. You have the hold the book closed as you place it just so as a closing lid.

I looked at the cards and my eyesight set upon card 10 of Beltane. I knew I would be using all the cards, even this one, and set this card aside.

My reaction is not recommended, but I ripped the book off the back cover. I attached a blank greeting card via decorative tape to the now-freed book. I also tore the silly cardboard insert box off and stored my cards in a zip-up cosmetic bag. The modified cardboard covers now will be a small layout board and also detachable book cover.

I like the semi-abstraction of Caroline Smith's work and the decorative style in all the cards...the semi-squatting 10 of Beltane is not offensive, simply reminds me of a kewpie doll with a large head giving birth to one while holding two other children. The book has the full illustration, so I put a small sticker of modesty and now am satisfied with all the cards...

Yes, I do look forward to using this deck and book set. I am glad to have received it now and got it at a discount from Amazon.com UK.

The colors are very nice and there's an airy, clean style--even a gracefullness that I like about these cards.
I like the idea of the Celtic seasons and addition of one or two different systems in a pretty deck. I'm hoping to use this for seasonal style readings...

Regards,

Cerulean

Hi Cerulean
i finally got around to buying this deck after a few glimspses at it in the past. I like the fact that alot of astrology is used in this deck and the celtic seasons are all tied together to form the structure for the deck. Which alot of oracle decks lack, not to say thats a good or bad thing, but i was certainley pleasantly suprised when i discovered how well caroline smith and john alstrop had structured this oracle and it certainley made understanding the minor cards alot easier and helped to add to my knowledge of the celtic seasons and astrology. The cards are an array of colour and beauty all done in a celtic style. This oracle really excites me its full of fresh new ideas, the cards as i have already said are wonderfully illustrated. I was instantley drawn to the five of sahmain with the 3 masked figures dancing and celebrating . The only problem was like you mentioned the packaging, the book is glued to the fold out style box and i got tired of having to close the book back on itself as the well where the cards are stored is too shallow so the cards are falling out of it. I have put the cards into a green velvet tarot bag and then put that into a wooden box, though i am not too sure whether to free the book or keep it as it is, another idea i have had is too cut the front cover and spine of the outer packaging off , this would free the book though the cover and spine would be soft back and the back of the book would be hard back. But that aside i am really looking forward to using this oracle.
Very impressed.

crystal dawn

crystal dawn

Re packaging on runic tarot

Hi again

I decided to take the risky step of seperating the book from the box, the whole of the back cover was stuck to the box. So i had a free book with no back cover - aarg, so i cut two pieces of blank card out and stuck them to the back of the book, then i photocopied in colour and on glossy paper the back of the box and glued the photocopy to the blank card that i had attached to form the new back cover. It looks okay, a bit of an amatuer job but not to bad, its just so much easier to read the book now and you pretty much cant tell that the back cover has been redone.

blessings

crystal dawn

Cerulean

Funny about the creative book-making...

I found it funny but it made me more interested in thinking how I like to use this deck/book set.

I noticed that at an independent bookstore I saw the reissued Celtic Book of the Dead, a song and card set by Caitlin Matthews. The box well is attached to the inner side of the right cover and a flap wraps around it--so the old dark green book and deck set with the handsome nylon cloth has been replaced. The bright orange 'safety first' color catches one's eye. Ouch.

I prefer the softer tones of the Runic Tarot's cover. While at first I thought the dark green were an odd contrast to the beige-pink book, there's really a handsome contrast in the colors. Some might find the color tones brighter---but overall I find it an attractive set.

I am curious to hear what others think.

Regards,

Cerulean

crystal dawn

Having fun

Yep the colours on the runic tarot are fabulous, it really inspires me too use them. I am having alot of fun getting to know this deck, i have been experimenting with different spreads and am managing to read more into the cards than the book descriptions and the linking up from one card to another is starting to happen as well, slowly but surely.
i am looking forward to the day when i will be confident enough to start giving readings with this colourful deck.

blessings

crystal dawn

Fulgour

More Info!

I have three sets by Caroline Smith:
The Moon Oracle
Mystic Meg Tarot
Oracle of the Radiant Sun
and Elemental Tarot (with sweetie, John)
so I'm really looking forward to this deck!

crystal dawn

The one that got away

Fulgour said:
I have three sets by Caroline Smith:
The Moon Oracle
Mystic Meg Tarot
Elemental Tarot (with sweetie, John)
so I'm really looking forward to this deck!

Hi Fulgour
I remember seeing the Elemental Tarot for sale in a remainder book shop for £7 it was in a box set with the cards and book. I was a little stretched cash wise and remember thinking that i should really get it, as it happend i didnt and have been kicking myself ever since, as it is such a beautiful deck.

blessings

crystal dawn

Fulgour

take heart

I just edited my last post to add Oracle of the Radiant Sun.
I knew I was forgetting something there... it's really a cool set.

The Elemental Tarot has a very psychological feel to it, like it's
for counselling almost... it strikes a deep chord in the psyche.

We hear so often: "When the time is right, it will happen."
Keep your consciousness alert and it'll be coming along! ;)

blessings,
Fulgour