Thoth Tarot Survey

What is your opinion?

• Thoth is a great Deck.

Votes: 131 69.3%
  • Thoth Deck shall be burned, ripped into pieces, buried, pulverized...

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I do not understand Thoth, therefore will refrain from judging

Votes: 18 9.5%
  • Why so much noise about it?

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • I like the cards, but Crowley's shadow is disturbing...

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • It scares me

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters

jumptothemoonyea

Because the Thoth Tarot deck created by Aleister Crowley and Lady Frieda Harris is so controversial, it is interesting to see our community opinion about it. Therefore please choose your option from the list provided in this poll, and you are welcome to express it in this thread.

Annabelle

I voted that the Thoth is a great deck. I love it, and I have absolutely no problem with the fact that it is a creation of Crowley and Harris. I don't get "negative vibes" from it as some people do. It's a beautiful deck, and I enjoy reading with it.

Grigori

I think it is a great deck, despite a current lull in our relationship. I saw the results of a poll on Tarot Passages some time ago in which thoth came up in the list of favorite, as well as most hated decks.

None of the other thoth style decks are as beautiful in my opinion.

Kahlie

The Thoth is a great Deck.

It's still my most loved, and my first Deck. It has a great amount of symbology and helps me to be very honest, and very strict.

One of my friends finds the art disturbing. (Without knowing background information about the deck's creators)

I guess it's not a deck for everybody, but is any deck that?

WolfyJames

Why so much noise about it? The only issue I had with the Thoth is that the art is very modern and I'm not fond of modern art. Beside that, it's a colorful deck, filled with vibrant yellow, orange, pink, blue, red and green. I really don't see where dark, scary and creepy is. For me, the Thoth is an acquired taste, I've learned to appreciate it and I admire its longevity and the story behind it, like I do with the Rider-Waite Tarot and the Tarot de Marseille. It's not a deck I use all the time but I keep it for study and I sometimes read myself with it. I like how the artist used color to express feelings. The Seven of Pentacles is a card I love very much in the deck because, even though the deck is not illustrated like the Rider-Waite, the feelings are well conveyed by the design and colors. It's not the case for all the cards but I think this one really succedes.

Alta

The Thoth is a very well thought out deck. The art was important to Crowley clearly, but I suspect mostly as it conveyed his ideas in a lovely and hence somewhat deceptive form.

Whatever you think of him, he did consider the ideas expressed very carefully. That alone deserves recognition.

Sulis

I think that Thoth is a great deck.

I don't use it myself because the art and keywords are not really to my taste but the deck is very well thought out and many people love it.

Love

Sulis xx

inanna_tarot

hmmm the thoth....
Well, I dont really have any problems with Crowley and I can really appreciate the artwork (especially since I snipped my regular thoth's borders). I even bought a large green thoth because I want to explore it more, for its one of the most thought out decks around.
However, the kabbalah/hermetic side of it makes me re-think. I only have a basic understanding and so I don't feel that I can understand it properly till I do work out all the hermetic stuff.
The thoth seems a very serious deck,one with study and hours of readings and practice can be understood. Thats not my style of reading, i like to be lighthearted, pleasent yet heartfelt. Maybe Crowley's shadow does bother me in some way then?
Maybe I have the wrong ideas about the thoth, and I would love someone to prove me wrong :)

Blessings,
Sezo
x

Emily

I too think the Thoth is a great deck - I like the keywords, the artwork and the fact that its so totally different from the RWS symbolism that I'm used to.

I use the Thoth when I want a challenge, Its not an easy deck for me to use but I love the imagery - Crowley's reputation has never bothered me, I knew a little about him before I bought the deck. I think he and Lady Frieda created unique deck and one that will stand the test of time.

Foxyangel

I have the deck though still having problems connecting with it and being intuitive with the readings....

I appreciate the artwork and hope that time will make this an easier deck for me to read with

foxyangel :)