Celtic Cross Confusion

tgzzzz

Forgive the simplicity of my inquiry: I've just come across Bunning's tarot book, and I notice that her designations for positions 1, 2 & 3 are a little different from other layouts (Garen's for example). I suppose if you're clear on how you intend to read the cards before you lay them out, it doesn't matter. Indeed perhaps nothing "matters". But it troubles me a little. I'd expect something this elemental would be down pat. Thoughts?

destinyawaitsme

well, there are about 15 billion different versions of the celtic cross. That's why it's frustrating when the spread is used in the Your Readings forum and the postitions aren't posted...there are so many possibilities as to what each position could be. I would recommend you just finding a version that you like best and sticking with that one just to prevent confusion. Also, You might want to look a different spreads. The Celtic Cross is really popular, but that doesn't make it fitting for all readings and all situations. But that's just my opinion.

Aura Wolf

This will probably get moved to Tarot Spreads :)

When I started out, all I used was the Celtic Cross. That's changed now. I will still use it sometimes, but there are other spreads that can work better depending on the question. I like the Celtic Cross, but Destiny is right, there are a billion different versions, and that's what bothers me about it. The one I've always used and found works best for me, the first 6 cards look like this, with the 2 across the 1:

-----5-----
4--1(2)--6
-----3-----

1: Question/Querent
2: Problem
3: Subconscious Issues
4: Recent Past
5: Conscious Issues
6: Near Future

I like those meanings in those positions because they make the most sense to me. Subconscious below, Conscious above, Past behind and Future in front. The last few cards are the usual, in the line to the right:

7: Current Situation/Querent
8: Surroundings/Influences
9: Hopes/Fears
10: Outcome/Solution

But there are soooooo many different versions of this. It gets really confusing. Some have an extra card 0: Significator. I find this just confuses things for me. They also have totally different meanings for the first 4 cards, and not only that, lay them out in a completely different order. This all varies with each spread. It's frustrating!

I think the best thing for you to do is to look at a few different Celtic Cross spreads, and decide which one you feel most comfortable with, and stick with it, or a small few so you can alternate if you feel the need. This is one spread that is just never going to stop changing and confusing people, so your best bet is to look for the version you like the best and use that one. It's not important how the spreads are laid out or what the positions are, as long as you are comfortable with them and are able to use them properly. Don't forget to explore other spreads, and you can always make your own :)

Majecot

tgzzzz, Welcome to AT.

I agree with destinyawaitsme, there are tons and tons of celtic cross variations and for years I used the only one I knew and that was out of Connelly's aprentice book.. ( not my favorite book mind you) and when I started reading there were not so many books to choose from. Find one that makes sense to you.
There is a thread in Tarot Spreads that lists several websites with speads.