Psychedelic Rider-Waite cards

Laura Borealis

Artist Oliver Hibert is painting the Rider-Waite in his own weird and psychedelic style. I think he's only done five cards so far. Quote:

Going to redo the whole Rider-Waite Tarot deck in tribute and thanks to Pamela Colman Smith. You’re my hero. Slow and steady for this pet project.

You can see them here on his Tumblr (nudity warning, possibly nsfw): http://oliverhibert.tumblr.com/tagged/pamelacolmansmith

I think they're awesome! I don't know if he plans to print and publish them, but I hope he does.

Here's his main website just for reference: http://oliverhibert.com/

rwcarter

Artist Oliver Hibert is painting the Rider-Waite in his own weird and psychedelic style.
Psychedelic? That looks more like an acid trip to me! :laugh: (from what I've heard as I've never dropped acid myself.... :angel:) That or the love child of the Albano Waite and a Simpsons Halloween episode. ;)

Those are different enough that I don't think he'd have to worry about publishing it while the copyright is still in dispute.

I don't follow tumblrs, so hopefully someone else will pop an update in here occasionally.

Rodney

Holy Smoke

I'm not too sure about Psychedelic either...reminds me more of Futurama than Yellow Submarine.

Psychedelic? That looks more like an acid trip to me! :laugh: (from what I've heard as I've never dropped acid myself.... :angel:)
Rodney

Acid trip would be accurate...and not a particularly good one.

prudence

Wow. Though if you've read Tom Wolfe's "The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test" you might agree that this style is certainly psychedelic, as well as evocative of an acid trip altogether.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Electric_Kool-Aid_Acid_Test

Back when Ken Kesey and his Merry Pranksters were practicing their ummm...brand of spiritually enlightening experiments, they introduced the country to neon colors (as well as a slew of other things) and this is exactly how it looked or was described in exacting detail by Tom Wolfe. They also had a fledgling band play for them during their "tests"....you may have heard of this band...it was fronted by a dude named Jerry Garcia. ;)

Obviously this deck is going to need to be used under black lights.

Laura Borealis

Thanks prudence. :smoker:

I'm not too sure about Psychedelic either...reminds me more of Futurama than Yellow Submarine.

Acid trip would be accurate...and not a particularly good one.

If you're saying something evocative of an acid trip isn't psychedelic, then you're using the word wrong. ;)

I don't follow tumblrs, so hopefully someone else will pop an update in here occasionally.

I'll try to do that. :thumbsup:

Zephyros

I think they're simply amazing. Just when you think "just another" RWS can't surprise you, someone comes along and shows you have devastatingly wrong you are. As to whether the trip is good or not, the artist seemed to have a lot of fun doing this, so I doubt it was bad. :)

But then, I wouldn't know, I've never had a bad trip. My body reacts almost perversely well to controlled substances. :D

prudence

Thanks prudence. :smoker:
de nada :)

If you're saying something evocative of an acid trip isn't psychedelic, then you're using the word wrong. ;)
I've always seen them as hand in hand, a partnership almost. And that Emperor certainly looks like he's melting....in the tripping sense of the word. As in tripping his face off.

desertrat

I got excited at Psychedelic, but then got the creeps seeing the meltiness of the artwork. Boo. I am ever soooo happy to say I think I'm TOO YOUNG for this deck. Ah, that feels good!

thirdlibra

...I'm still not getting what psychedelics are if acid isn't one.

seedcake

The Empress is so awesome. I love this idea but I don't think I'd use it. I praise the artwork though :)